Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Off-topic discussion
User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 30 Jul 2017, 02:37

I will dump my progress on any mapping projects i'm working on here. You can post your mapping projects here, if you like.

Here is a medbay I'm working on: http://imgur.com/a/5lIez

Any and all criticism is welcome.

Edit: made a strawpoll on what the middle room should be in the second image: https://strawpoll.com/pga91g9g
Last edited by TehSpoderman on 30 Jul 2017, 23:33, edited 2 times in total.
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
Jeser
Registered user
Posts: 1018
Joined: 04 Mar 2015, 00:47
Location: Donetsk, Ukraine

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Jeser » 30 Jul 2017, 03:09

Hey, spoder, imho, it would be better if nurses at desk had separate windows.

Image

Okay, so.
1. I'd suggest moving windoors and chairs a bit, so Receptionists will have two different windows instead of one big. Patients coming at desk won't need to stay near each other and shove each other with elbows.
2. Bringing consoles closer. They are too far to reach them.
3. Replacing receptions' chairs with office chairs, wel, those, on small wheels. They'd fit better.
Jeser "Fox" Aushwitz.

Jeser believes only in one thing - common sense.

Image
Image
Image

Apop's permission:
Click

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 30 Jul 2017, 03:13

Jeser wrote:Hey, spoder, imho, it would be better if nurses at desk had separate windows.

Image

Okay, so.
1. I'd suggest moving windoors and chairs a bit, so Receptionists will have two different windows instead of one big. Patients coming at desk won't need to stay near each other and shove each other with elbows.
2. Bringing consoles closer. They are too far to reach them.
3. Replacing receptions' chairs with office chairs, wel, those, on small wheels. They'd fit better.
Alright. Ill start changing it tomorrow. Thank you for the advice. (btw congratz on 1000 posts)
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
Jeser
Registered user
Posts: 1018
Joined: 04 Mar 2015, 00:47
Location: Donetsk, Ukraine

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Jeser » 30 Jul 2017, 03:25

Ay, thanks. I just realized that you might need to change position of center waiting area, because if you move windoors as I said, person standing at windoor will be blocking way.
Jeser "Fox" Aushwitz.

Jeser believes only in one thing - common sense.

Image
Image
Image

Apop's permission:
Click

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 30 Jul 2017, 03:27

Jeser wrote:Ay, thanks. I just realized that you might need to change position of center waiting area, because if you move windoors as I said, person standing at windoor will be blocking way.
That might be a problem. Ill figure something out to fix it. If not, I might have to keep it the way it is.
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
SagaSword
Registered user
Posts: 564
Joined: 02 Aug 2015, 19:58
Byond ID: Sagasword

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by SagaSword » 30 Jul 2017, 06:01

The medbay is nice. I suggest making a bar and a bridge, these two will challenge your mapping skills.
The Greatest Memer of all time!
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfsFV7VGBzI

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 30 Jul 2017, 12:58

SagaSword wrote:The medbay is nice. I suggest making a bar and a bridge, these two will challenge your mapping skills.
I plan on making a full on colony. Will that challenge my mapping skill?
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 30 Jul 2017, 14:52

Alright. I changed reception now. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to move the windoors so, sorry about that, Jeser. You can look at the changes in the imgur album.
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
SagaSword
Registered user
Posts: 564
Joined: 02 Aug 2015, 19:58
Byond ID: Sagasword

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by SagaSword » 30 Jul 2017, 15:13

TehSpoderman wrote:I plan on making a full on colony. Will that challenge my mapping skill?
Welp, you bested me.
The Greatest Memer of all time!
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfsFV7VGBzI

User avatar
Snypehunter007
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 2502
Joined: 02 Dec 2015, 17:14
Location: Georgia
Byond ID: Snypehunter007
Contact:

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Snypehunter007 » 30 Jul 2017, 16:31

Update picture?
► Show Spoiler
Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 30 Jul 2017, 16:39

Snypehunter007 wrote:Update picture?
On reception?
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
Snypehunter007
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 2502
Joined: 02 Dec 2015, 17:14
Location: Georgia
Byond ID: Snypehunter007
Contact:

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Snypehunter007 » 30 Jul 2017, 18:02

TehSpoderman wrote:On reception?
Anything.
► Show Spoiler
Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 30 Jul 2017, 18:39

Updated the album. Decided to make the middle room a cryo room. New images include medbay lobby with new reception and removed window panels between windows.
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
Casany
Registered user
Posts: 1150
Joined: 06 Jun 2016, 09:18
Location: US of A
Byond ID: Casany
Steam: Casany

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Casany » 30 Jul 2017, 23:24

I tried my hand at mapping, and I'm actually working on a big project right now. Doubt you could find these old pictures in slack anymore, I'll go ahead and place them here if thats fine with you. If not just PM me and I'll have them deleted, don't wanna take away the focus. My first recommendation to you is to try and make the map a little less square, as if done right it can look amazing.

https://gyazo.com/fd5bc08bd9fde156878d8 ... 4b9d3045a0 - TG, Research base with areas

https://gyazo.com/b6739ada2e22bba40ac95a4e213e729a - TG, Research base without areas

I had at one point some bay stuff, all of its probably lost somewhere or in my mapping application I made some time back. Like I said, if you don't want me to post these here I am completely fine with it and I'd be fine with deleting it. Just thought it'd be good to learn from or at least take an example from

EDIT - I found one of the Bay pictures. Should help you answer your question on cryo and medical in general, took me a long time to make this one.

https://gyazo.com/b79943a6cf798b091fe8d791d7975853 - Bay, medical area with cryo, cloning, medical storage, sleeper room and an OR room. Use this as an example for medical related rooms if you want
He killed me with a SADAR and it was bullshit. We should ban him for ERP because of how VIOLENTLY HE FUCKED ME' - Biolock, Saturday 15 October 2016

"Sometimes you need to stop and enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things"

Confirmed Shitler by EMT_321

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 30 Jul 2017, 23:32

Casany wrote:I tried my hand at mapping, and I'm actually working on a big project right now. Doubt you could find these old pictures in slack anymore, I'll go ahead and place them here if thats fine with you. If not just PM me and I'll have them deleted, don't wanna take away the focus. My first recommendation to you is to try and make the map a little less square, as if done right it can look amazing.

https://gyazo.com/fd5bc08bd9fde156878d8 ... 4b9d3045a0 - TG, Research base with areas

https://gyazo.com/b6739ada2e22bba40ac95a4e213e729a - TG, Research base without areas

I had at one point some bay stuff, all of its probably lost somewhere or in my mapping application I made some time back. Like I said, if you don't want me to post these here I am completely fine with it and I'd be fine with deleting it. Just thought it'd be good to learn from or at least take an example from
Its completely fine if you want to place them here. Actually, Im gonna change the point of this topic so that other people can post their mapping projects here. I'll try to make my maps a little less square. Its a habit i need to get out of. Your research base looks good btw :)
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 03 Aug 2017, 01:21

Putting my project on hold for now. IRL stuff is happening and cant use my computer that I map on.
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 03 Aug 2017, 01:27

Casany wrote: EDIT - I found one of the Bay pictures. Should help you answer your question on cryo and medical in general, took me a long time to make this one.

https://gyazo.com/b79943a6cf798b091fe8d791d7975853 - Bay, medical area with cryo, cloning, medical storage, sleeper room and an OR room. Use this as an example for medical related rooms if you want
BTW, Casany. Can you link the medbay area without the stuff on the side? Its kinda hard to see it as it is.
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
Casany
Registered user
Posts: 1150
Joined: 06 Jun 2016, 09:18
Location: US of A
Byond ID: Casany
Steam: Casany

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Casany » 03 Aug 2017, 01:37

TehSpoderman wrote:BTW, Casany. Can you link the medbay area without the stuff on the side? Its kinda hard to see it as it is.
Sadly, the map has been deleted, as well as the baycode I was using. Thats a VERY old picture. I'll try but I dunno if I can
He killed me with a SADAR and it was bullshit. We should ban him for ERP because of how VIOLENTLY HE FUCKED ME' - Biolock, Saturday 15 October 2016

"Sometimes you need to stop and enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things"

Confirmed Shitler by EMT_321

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 03 Aug 2017, 01:39

Casany wrote:Sadly, the map has been deleted, as well as the baycode I was using. Thats a VERY old picture. I'll try but I dunno if I can
Its ok if you cant. I was just wondering.
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

User avatar
Tidomann
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 421
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 02:59
Location: Canada
Byond ID: Tidomann

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Tidomann » 03 Aug 2017, 12:11

What kind of services do I need to perform in order for you to teach me how to map in byond?

User avatar
Steelpoint
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1173
Joined: 29 Jul 2015, 06:04
Byond ID: Steelpoint

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Steelpoint » 03 Aug 2017, 12:22

Mapping in byond is not that hard, well making something good is hard.

For reference here are two map areas I've made in the past.

Crashed Mercenary Ship
► Show Spoiler
Remap of /tg/ Robotics
► Show Spoiler
Mapping between Baycode and /tg/code is mostly similar so I can cite /tg/station for help, the /tg/station wiki had a pretty good 'Guide to mapping' that can help you figure out the basics of mapping.

If you want to make a map of something, do something very small like a small addition to a department. An entire space station, from personal experience, can take well over twenty hours to fully map out, and that's not even assuming it'll be good.
This is war, survival is your responsibility.

User avatar
Casany
Registered user
Posts: 1150
Joined: 06 Jun 2016, 09:18
Location: US of A
Byond ID: Casany
Steam: Casany

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Casany » 03 Aug 2017, 13:05

I have to say, the most uninteresting and repetitive part of mapping is adding the atmospherics and piping. It is my least favorite part, by far and it takes the LONGEST time
He killed me with a SADAR and it was bullshit. We should ban him for ERP because of how VIOLENTLY HE FUCKED ME' - Biolock, Saturday 15 October 2016

"Sometimes you need to stop and enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things"

Confirmed Shitler by EMT_321

lcass123
Registered user
Posts: 205
Joined: 25 Apr 2015, 19:41

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by lcass123 » 03 Aug 2017, 13:44

Casany wrote:I have to say, the most uninteresting and repetitive part of mapping is adding the atmospherics and piping. It is my least favorite part, by far and it takes the LONGEST time

Actually I have something worse, when I was working on an electricity update for hippie we had to remove all the stations wiring and replace it. If you thought placing wires was annoying (ctrl click and drag) you have never had to remove each individual wire from a map. They were all ontop of disposal pipes and atmos that didn't need changing so it took fcking ages.

User avatar
Steelpoint
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1173
Joined: 29 Jul 2015, 06:04
Byond ID: Steelpoint

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by Steelpoint » 03 Aug 2017, 13:47

To be fair removing objects en masse is not as hard as you think, using spess magic you can mass select identical map objects and rapidly click through them to delete every instance of that item on the map, you still need to be through but it saves time.
This is war, survival is your responsibility.

User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 657
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Re: Spoder's mapping dumping ground.

Post by TehSpoderman » 03 Aug 2017, 13:52

Im still quite new to mapping. Could you guys give me some tips for the future?
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

Post Reply