Rank in CM

Ultimate badasses.
Te Matei Cego
Byond ID: Te Matei Cego

Rank in CM

Post by Te Matei Cego » 13 Jan 2018, 12:16

Hello lately I've been thinking about the CM ranks and it gave me an idea in my head and I would like to know if you have the same opinion and if it could be done.

We all know that CM ranks are "illustrative" and come according to what you want to play in the round for example: SSG-Squad Lead or Military Police.

But what if the rank was really like a '' ladder '' system and to go up in rank would you be noticed in the way you play, how much game time do you have?

CM is already a very famous game and in my opinion this would encourage more people to play.

I would like to know your opinion and if this would be possible!
USCM Charlie:Joe 'Smoker' Constantine

oprayx73

Re: Rank in CM

Post by oprayx73 » 13 Jan 2018, 12:18

really wouldn't make sense for baldy mc boot lowest rung on the USCM ladder to out rank his SL or Medic sometimes.
Cut them xenos up with yer machete! :D

Muhrene Name : Boris Bourbon
Synthetic Name : Abraham

Hastati
Byond ID: silent_hastati

Post by Hastati » 13 Jan 2018, 12:30

Would make no sense at all as you'd have the entire chain of command hopelessly out of order.

Now for medals to be some sort of object, that might be an idea, but that's another issue entirely.

As the "be noticed" thing sounds like a prime candidate for metabuddy circlejerking.
Weyland Yutani - Marcus Toirneach
USCM Charlie- Jennifer 'Wyvern' Glenhal
Medical/Research - Melinda Ralon
Military Police / Supply Corps - William 'Fed' Pennington
Command/Pilot - Peter O'Finnbar

Survival Count as Humans: 9 Survivals | 34 Deaths

Te Matei Cego

Post by Te Matei Cego » 13 Jan 2018, 12:59

Hastati wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 12:30
Would make no sense at all as you'd have the entire chain of command hopelessly out of order.

Now for medals to be some sort of object, that might be an idea, but that's another issue entirely.

As the "be noticed" thing sounds like a prime candidate for metabuddy circlejerking.
I understand your point of view and I know this would bring a lot of confusion, so I think this kind of system should not be fully implemented in a way that leaves the game confused and applied little by little in the game, perhaps starting with the squads and your ranks.

Heckenshutze
Mentor
Mentor
Byond ID: Heckenshutze

Post by Heckenshutze » 13 Jan 2018, 13:07

Your idea ain't bad and I understand the point of it but, we couldn't afford to have a grunt with a highest rank than the current SL, for example.
  • USCM Ruben Dario, sometimes known as 'Donut'.

• Maakau'Rel, the Yautja hunter.

• Shepherd, the gen 3 Working Joe/David8 hybrid.

Te Matei Cego

Post by Te Matei Cego » 13 Jan 2018, 14:28

Heckenshutze wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 13:07
Your idea ain't bad and I understand the point of it but, we couldn't afford to have a grunt with a highest rank than the current SL, for example.
I understand, thank you

Jroinc1
Byond ID: Jroinc1

Post by Jroinc1 » 15 Jan 2018, 23:28

I could see ranks being altered up to one level to reflect playtime, but not really more than that.

Maybe bump you up one rank if you played in the last round?
Mentor-
3 Nov 16-15 Jan 17

Atmos bombs built- 16
Hull breaches repaired- 6
Charged SMs manually dragged to space- 2
Backup tcomms systems set- 4
SM de-lamination weapons detonated- 0
Times I've burned half the ship to a crisp- 5
Times I've burned half the ship to a crisp ACCIDENTALLY- 2
Engine SMs de-laminated on my watch- 0

Upper deck engines made-1
Lower deck engines made-1

Total kills with SM- 6

Most surgeries done at once- 3
Most anesthetic tanks used in a round- 3
Most surgeries done using only personal supplies- 37
Most perdiox made w/in 5 min of roundstart- 540u

Te Matei Cego

Post by Te Matei Cego » 16 Jan 2018, 18:24

Jroinc1 wrote:
15 Jan 2018, 23:28
I could see ranks being altered up to one level to reflect playtime, but not really more than that.

Maybe bump you up one rank if you played in the last round?
It's also an acceptable and interesting idea.

Simo94

Post by Simo94 » 16 Jan 2018, 19:28

what I would like to see instead is unlocking jobs with time, when you first join the server you can only go PFC or MT for example. then after a week you unlock Spec and Smartgunner.....etc till you unlock XO.
Image Image

Vispain
Byond ID: Vispain

Post by Vispain » Yesterday, 19:33

Hastati wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 12:30

Agreed. As for metals being an object...that is a thing
When a CO makes a medal there is literally an object in game that is a medal. You can even pin them on your armor ( it would go in the slot you have in your armor).

As for ranks based off playtime all I can say is God no.

solidfury7
Mentor
Mentor

Post by solidfury7 » Yesterday, 20:49

Only thing I could see this being doing is if they were bumped up only SLIGHTLY, after a certain amount of time.

So, from Private to Private First Class
Character
William 'Jester' Crimson
Roles
Commander
Squad Leader
Bridge Officer
Medic

biscuitsakimbo
Byond ID: BiscuitsAkimbo

Post by biscuitsakimbo » Today, 02:04

I've always advocated for a Baystation 12 type system for job preferences, so doing something similar with ranks would be both flavorful and useful. After a few months a squad marine PVT would become a PFC, a SSGT SL would become a GYSGT, 2LT SO to 1LT SO and so on would (A) reward frequent players and (B) single out who you can trust a bit less in sticky situations.

beefkill
Byond ID: beefkill

Post by beefkill » Today, 02:36

biscuitsakimbo wrote:
Today, 02:04
I've always advocated for a Baystation 12 type system for job preferences, so doing something similar with ranks would be both flavorful and useful. After a few months a squad marine PVT would become a PFC, a SSGT SL would become a GYSGT, 2LT SO to 1LT SO and so on would (A) reward frequent players and (B) single out who you can trust a bit less in sticky situations.
I think unlocked positions based on X time played has its ups and downs. For certain time slots especially in the early mornings for a lot of North American players. Speaking from experience, a lot of command roles, medics, engineers are empty. IF you added in an unlock system, there could be a situation where there is no command structure at all and that limits the game play for everyone. Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Cry of Wolves
Byond ID: Cry of Wolves
Steam: Cry of Wolves

Post by Cry of Wolves » Today, 03:46

solidfury7 wrote:
Yesterday, 20:49
Only thing I could see this being doing is if they were bumped up only SLIGHTLY, after a certain amount of time.

So, from Private to Private First Class
All standards start at PFC on roundstart, so they have one rank to be demoted to if the time comes.

Now i wouldn't mind seeing marines being able to reach Lance Corporal or even Corporal itself, but that is the highest any Standard should reach IMO.
Image Image

"There is only two people in war, those who are dead and those who write the history. And I intend on writing my legacy." -Ahab 'Venom' Vincent

x31stOverlord
Byond ID: x31stOverlord

Post by x31stOverlord » Today, 04:35

I'm not too sure why this really is being discussed. IMO the ranks serve a purpose for the game in a set round. Sometimes ill be an Engie, sometimes an SL. It would really screw with the CoC lists if you start having to input variables when dealing with prole who've played the server a lot. Plus would there be a cap on this, how would it affect the command staff.

It also messes with newer people. If they are wanting to try a command position and manage to get sergeant slot. The SL is dead so theoretically they are aSL, but hang on, the Engie is a longtime player and instead of being a corporal is a Sergeant, the SO promotes the Engie over the spec because they know each other from many rounds. This is metabuddying and this system may throw more and more metabuddy opportunities into the pot.

Ofc this is just my opinion on the matter and that is; leave it as it is. It doesn't serve any ulterior position outside of one round at a time so changing it serves no purpose.
Wolfgang Schneider - CL, Rsr, SO, XO Roscoe Barrett - SL, Spec, Engie, SG Ancient Empress, Ancient Runner (69)

Te Matei Cego

Post by Te Matei Cego » Today, 09:55

x31stOverlord wrote:
Today, 04:35
I'm not too sure why this really is being discussed. IMO the ranks serve a purpose for the game in a set round. Sometimes ill be an Engie, sometimes an SL. It would really screw with the CoC lists if you start having to input variables when dealing with prole who've played the server a lot. Plus would there be a cap on this, how would it affect the command staff.

It also messes with newer people. If they are wanting to try a command position and manage to get sergeant slot. The SL is dead so theoretically they are aSL, but hang on, the Engie is a longtime player and instead of being a corporal is a Sergeant, the SO promotes the Engie over the spec because they know each other from many rounds. This is metabuddying and this system may throw more and more metabuddy opportunities into the pot.

Ofc this is just my opinion on the matter and that is; leave it as it is. It doesn't serve any ulterior position outside of one round at a time so changing it serves no purpose.
I understand, first of all I thought of this idea because I played CM at a considerable time and in some of my RPs there were often certain players who had no experience in their classes and this made it difficult for the squad's objective and once for the RP itself.

I know there is a Wiki so you can have an idea and know what to do with such a class but it is not everyone who knows and those who know often do not use it.

What I would like to see and for example engineers who really know their role in the game because they are experienced in it and also because they already have considerable game time so I thought that the rank system could help in this by making players more aware of their functions and improving the RP of other players and his own.