Apologies if you can't access the server...

Announcements about staff, updates, and the like can be found here.
User avatar
apophis775
Host
Host
Posts: 6393
Joined: 22 Aug 2014, 18:05
Location: Ice Colony
Byond ID: Apophis775
Contact:

Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by apophis775 » 19 May 2017, 13:00

Due to some DOS attempts and shenanigans, I blocked a shitload of common VPN ranges as well as less "reputable" ISPs in a lot of countries with more "liberal" views on internet laws.

If this happens to you, you'll get an "ACCESS DENIED" message. Post here if you have the issue and I'll see what I can do.
ImageImage
flamecow wrote: "unga dunga me want the attachment" - average marine

Tomoyobro
Registered user
Posts: 9
Joined: 06 Apr 2016, 14:13

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Tomoyobro » 19 May 2017, 14:26

Yep, it just hit me. BYOND tag is the same as username here.

User avatar
Feweh
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4649
Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 19:34
Byond ID: Feweh

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Feweh » 19 May 2017, 15:27

Tomoyobro wrote:Yep, it just hit me. BYOND tag is the same as username here.
Whos your internet provider

Tomoyobro
Registered user
Posts: 9
Joined: 06 Apr 2016, 14:13

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Tomoyobro » 19 May 2017, 16:28

WOW! Internet, also known as WOWWAY/Wide Out West/ etc.

dualsaber
Registered user
Posts: 2
Joined: 20 May 2017, 05:22
Byond ID: Dualsaber

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by dualsaber » 20 May 2017, 06:28

Hello apophis775 and everyone who is a member and staff of this community, i believe i'm the reason that so called "DOS attack".

I was working on a Chrome extension that checks for servers (TG, Goon, CM, FTL, etc.) and notifies important incidents like when Shuttle called/recalled/docked, Security Level Changes, Game State with some game information like map, player count, round duration.

I was using TG's code in their open-source github repo (getserverdata, serverinfo) to reach the servers and get the data the extension uses. In my early development stage, i may have pinged the servers too much with low interval (one ping every 5 seconds). I removed CM server as soon as i get errors from the server.

I'm the one who need to apologize.
I'm really sorry for this inconvinience if I'm actually the cause of it, I have never wanted to harm this or any server through my work. My intention was to help the players easily find a server to play on. If you want I can show my code to you (it's not ready to go open source) which will show you that I only gather data every 5 seconds. I really did not consider pinging every 5 seconds would be a problem on the server.

I'm not a veteran CM player but from the moment i've first played, I loved the idea and execution behind it. Really hit the mark for me. The community is great as well. I did not want to harm any aspect of both the game and the community.

Again, I'm really sorry. If you have any ideas to improve what I have been trying to achive, please, I'm open to constructive criticism and feedbacks.

User avatar
Rahlzel
Vice Host
Vice Host
Posts: 1050
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 16:17
Location: USA

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Rahlzel » 20 May 2017, 14:53

It's all good - it's not your fault. We found the issue and patched it, and it had nothing to do with getting pinged. Thanks for the honesty though.

User avatar
apophis775
Host
Host
Posts: 6393
Joined: 22 Aug 2014, 18:05
Location: Ice Colony
Byond ID: Apophis775
Contact:

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by apophis775 » 20 May 2017, 15:33

dualsaber wrote:Hello apophis775 and everyone who is a member and staff of this community, i believe i'm the reason that so called "DOS attack".

I was working on a Chrome extension that checks for servers (TG, Goon, CM, FTL, etc.) and notifies important incidents like when Shuttle called/recalled/docked, Security Level Changes, Game State with some game information like map, player count, round duration.

I was using TG's code in their open-source github repo (getserverdata, serverinfo) to reach the servers and get the data the extension uses. In my early development stage, i may have pinged the servers too much with low interval (one ping every 5 seconds). I removed CM server as soon as i get errors from the server.

I'm the one who need to apologize.
I'm really sorry for this inconvinience if I'm actually the cause of it, I have never wanted to harm this or any server through my work. My intention was to help the players easily find a server to play on. If you want I can show my code to you (it's not ready to go open source) which will show you that I only gather data every 5 seconds. I really did not consider pinging every 5 seconds would be a problem on the server.

I'm not a veteran CM player but from the moment i've first played, I loved the idea and execution behind it. Really hit the mark for me. The community is great as well. I did not want to harm any aspect of both the game and the community.

Again, I'm really sorry. If you have any ideas to improve what I have been trying to achive, please, I'm open to constructive criticism and feedbacks.

There was a DOS attack, but it was not you. Unless, you were sending high-data packets from Russia, Romania, Syria, and Turkey for around 6 hours yesterday.

Did you get a ban on your IP? I don't see it in the firewall. I can take it off. Pinging the server for status every 5 seconds is fine.
ImageImage
flamecow wrote: "unga dunga me want the attachment" - average marine

User avatar
apophis775
Host
Host
Posts: 6393
Joined: 22 Aug 2014, 18:05
Location: Ice Colony
Byond ID: Apophis775
Contact:

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by apophis775 » 20 May 2017, 15:36

I don't see Tomoyobro anywhere, and your IP is not blocked by the firewall as much as I can tell.
ImageImage
flamecow wrote: "unga dunga me want the attachment" - average marine

Tomoyobro
Registered user
Posts: 9
Joined: 06 Apr 2016, 14:13

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Tomoyobro » 21 May 2017, 13:36

https://puu.sh/vX8XY/57fcace5e6.png

I don't understand what's causing the block then.

I updated the client in the case that was the issue but the same error occurs.

dualsaber
Registered user
Posts: 2
Joined: 20 May 2017, 05:22
Byond ID: Dualsaber

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by dualsaber » 23 May 2017, 03:25

apophis775 wrote:There was a DOS attack, but it was not you. Unless, you were sending high-data packets from Russia, Romania, Syria, and Turkey for around 6 hours yesterday.

Did you get a ban on your IP? I don't see it in the firewall. I can take it off. Pinging the server for status every 5 seconds is fine.
I'm from Turkey but i don't believe i'm sending high-data packets. Because TG part of the extension is working fine. I still can't connect to server in BYOND. I'm getting "Dream Seeker may be experiencing a problem reaching byond.com..." instead of "Access Denied".

User avatar
Feweh
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4649
Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 19:34
Byond ID: Feweh

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Feweh » 23 May 2017, 11:14

dualsaber wrote:I'm from Turkey but i don't believe i'm sending high-data packets. Because TG part of the extension is working fine. I still can't connect to server in BYOND. I'm getting "Dream Seeker may be experiencing a problem reaching byond.com..." instead of "Access Denied".
Oh you didnt hear about BYOND blocking all of Turkey because of Erdogan?

Tomoyobro
Registered user
Posts: 9
Joined: 06 Apr 2016, 14:13

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Tomoyobro » 23 May 2017, 21:56

Sorry for bumping again, but I'd really like some sort of resolution for my issue when possible.

User avatar
apophis775
Host
Host
Posts: 6393
Joined: 22 Aug 2014, 18:05
Location: Ice Colony
Byond ID: Apophis775
Contact:

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by apophis775 » 24 May 2017, 13:57

Yeah, that's an IP block, but I don't see your IP on the firewall list, unless you are posting from a different IP when you post here.
ImageImage
flamecow wrote: "unga dunga me want the attachment" - average marine

Tomoyobro
Registered user
Posts: 9
Joined: 06 Apr 2016, 14:13

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Tomoyobro » 24 May 2017, 14:25

The only thing I can think of is that I have changed modems since when I first began playing on CM, but it's a static IP that I can provide to you in PM if you need it to check. Otherwise nothing should be different.

User avatar
Feweh
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4649
Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 19:34
Byond ID: Feweh

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Feweh » 24 May 2017, 16:01

Tomoyobro wrote:The only thing I can think of is that I have changed modems since when I first began playing on CM, but it's a static IP that I can provide to you in PM if you need it to check. Otherwise nothing should be different.
Make a ban appeal and provide all the information required, itll be easier to track this conversation and for record keeping.

User avatar
Neray
Registered user
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Dec 2014, 22:36

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Neray » 25 May 2017, 06:41

Oi, not sure if it's related, but I can't access server from my usual IP range, not even ping it (as for byond, it gives usual "check your connection" error). VPN from the same city works just fine though, which made me wonder if my provider/IPs somehow got into your blacklist.
Sigismund Lintz says, "Desperation breeds ingenuity and bravado in fantastic ways."

User avatar
Nicboone
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 219
Joined: 15 Dec 2016, 00:20
Byond ID: Nicboone

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Nicboone » 26 May 2017, 10:39

Neray wrote:Oi, not sure if it's related, but I can't access server from my usual IP range, not even ping it (as for byond, it gives usual "check your connection" error). VPN from the same city works just fine though, which made me wonder if my provider/IPs somehow got into your blacklist.
you shouldnt be using a VPN or be swapping your IP's to play here. Thats the best way to get caught in a ban
Relax like Redax. "The fucking stupidest thing ever said by an SL"
Image

User avatar
Neray
Registered user
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Dec 2014, 22:36

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Neray » 26 May 2017, 11:28

Nicboone wrote:you shouldnt be using a VPN or be swapping your IP's to play here. Thats the best way to get caught in a ban
Keep that lovely opinion to yourself, lad. Surviving in Russia nowadays is a tough quest in general and in internet it gets even tougher. I never had any problems with VPNs in all my years on CM, but that's totally unrelated to our topic anyway, since it's my dynamic IP range that somehow got blocked, while side relays works just fine.
Sigismund Lintz says, "Desperation breeds ingenuity and bravado in fantastic ways."

User avatar
Nicboone
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 219
Joined: 15 Dec 2016, 00:20
Byond ID: Nicboone

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Nicboone » 26 May 2017, 13:53

Neray wrote:Keep that lovely opinion to yourself, lad. Surviving in Russia nowadays is a tough quest in general and in internet it gets even tougher. I never had any problems with VPNs in all my years on CM, but that's totally unrelated to our topic anyway, since it's my dynamic IP range that somehow got blocked, while side relays works just fine.
No reason for the attitude. Im spelling out the facts for you, not an opinion. using a vpn or changing your IP WILL make it way easier for you to get caught in bans you didnt earn yourself. Sticky bans, old griefers, that kind of stuff.
Relax like Redax. "The fucking stupidest thing ever said by an SL"
Image

User avatar
Neray
Registered user
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Dec 2014, 22:36

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Neray » 26 May 2017, 15:43

Nicboone wrote:No reason for the attitude. Im spelling out the facts for you, not an opinion. using a vpn or changing your IP WILL make it way easier for you to get caught in bans you didnt earn yourself. Sticky bans, old griefers, that kind of stuff.
All you're doing is flooding this important thread with unimportant and rather obvious comments. So there's a good reason for my "attitude", kiddo.
Sigismund Lintz says, "Desperation breeds ingenuity and bravado in fantastic ways."

User avatar
Nicboone
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 219
Joined: 15 Dec 2016, 00:20
Byond ID: Nicboone

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Nicboone » 27 May 2017, 00:53

There is no reason to get disrespectful.
Relax like Redax. "The fucking stupidest thing ever said by an SL"
Image

User avatar
MrJJJ
Registered user
Posts: 1909
Joined: 12 Jan 2015, 10:51
Location: Spider Lab

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by MrJJJ » 27 May 2017, 01:48

Neray wrote:All you're doing is flooding this important thread with unimportant and rather obvious comments. So there's a good reason for my "attitude", kiddo.
Look i don't wanna seem like a ass and just budge into a important thread, but this is kinda of ironic, if its so obvious, why did you reply, if its so unimportant, why did you post a unimportant comment back?

I thought you were better than this, Neray.

User avatar
apophis775
Host
Host
Posts: 6393
Joined: 22 Aug 2014, 18:05
Location: Ice Colony
Byond ID: Apophis775
Contact:

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by apophis775 » 27 May 2017, 14:43

Neray wrote:Keep that lovely opinion to yourself, lad. Surviving in Russia nowadays is a tough quest in general and in internet it gets even tougher. I never had any problems with VPNs in all my years on CM, but that's totally unrelated to our topic anyway, since it's my dynamic IP range that somehow got blocked, while side relays works just fine.
Using a VPN or Proxy is against our Rules...
ImageImage
flamecow wrote: "unga dunga me want the attachment" - average marine

User avatar
Karmac
Registered user
Posts: 1961
Joined: 08 Aug 2016, 00:29
Location: Queensland, Australia
Byond ID: Karmac

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Karmac » 27 May 2017, 22:01

>calls out staff for pointing out what he's doing will get him banned
11/10
I play Garth Pawolski; Commander, Combat Engineer, and more often than not, random dead guy.

I'm the predator Nracha-dte Kv'var-de (Relentless Hunter).

I was a Moderator for like 5 months. Ended up Retiring.

I'm a Community Contributor. Too lazy to ask Feweh for my badge back :^)

User avatar
Neray
Registered user
Posts: 318
Joined: 23 Dec 2014, 22:36

Re: Apologies if you can't access the server...

Post by Neray » 28 May 2017, 09:41

apophis775 wrote:Using a VPN or Proxy is against our Rules...
No, it's not. Go on, check them right now. The only thing even a bit close to your argument is ban evading, and I guess I don't have to tell you that it doesn't have anything to do with this situation. And I'm not telling you that I've got problems because of my VPN, I'm telling you that my own bloody home provider got into your blacklist, most likely because it's one of the largest providers localy and some of those bitches were using IPs in its range. I've been playing CM from 2 dynamic IP groups, both my usual one and VPN that I use for work, for all my years here and no one ever had any problem with it, including you. Open your damn eyes and read my previous post again.
MrJJJ wrote:Look i don't wanna seem like a ass and just budge into a important thread, but this is kinda of ironic, if its so obvious, why did you reply, if its so unimportant, why did you post a unimportant comment back?

I thought you were better than this, Neray.
Life is just a meme, my friend. You either embrace this fact, or suffer under its weight.
Sigismund Lintz says, "Desperation breeds ingenuity and bravado in fantastic ways."

Locked