A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

User avatar
Dude4Life
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 13:54

A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Dude4Life » 02 Jul 2016, 10:44

Summary (a quick, 2-3 sentence summary):
So, the idea here is that when an engineer is constructing or dismantling something and the action itself requires time to wait and stand still, there would be a small construction icon (two crossed wrenches or something) above the engineer, so others can see that they're building or dismantling something. That would increase efficiency of construction/dismantling and would reduce the amount of shoving the engineers that are trying to (de)construct stuff. Just to clarify, the icon itself wouldn't necessary stop the shoving game mechanic, it just would let people know when they shouldn't shove the engineer trying to construct something. Of course, this icon could only work on engineer classes, because others are not really supposed to do construction anyway.

Benefits (How this will benefit the server and game as a whole):
This small icon would let other players know when exactly they shouldn't shove/move/pull the engineer.

Details (Description of how you think this would work, the benefits, etc):
The icon (like I said before, maybe like two crossed wrenches) would show above an engineer for the duration in which they are doing a timed (de)construction interaction and have to stand still. This should/could work for almost all engineering actions (that need time to complete), eg: girders, walls, barricades, and so on. Now I don't know if it's even possible to add temporary icons above engineers with this code but it would help greatly.

Extra idea : Add in the option to toggle the same icon on/off by player's own choice.

Implementation (Optional, if you have an idea how to implement it): (heavy) coding and some spriting? Afterall, not sure if it's possible to implement it with this code though, just an idea that would help people more.
Last edited by Dude4Life on 02 Jul 2016, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jaggaaff
Registered user
Posts: 122
Joined: 12 Jun 2016, 03:52

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby jaggaaff » 02 Jul 2016, 11:01

In tg based builds and shit, they have a progress bar above your sprite, only visible to yourself if you're building something.
User avatar
Dude4Life
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 13:54

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Dude4Life » 02 Jul 2016, 11:02

jaggaaff wrote:In tg based builds and shit, they have a progress bar above your sprite, only visible to yourself if you're building something.


Hm, okay.
User avatar
Toroic
Donor
Donor
Posts: 1010
Joined: 25 Sep 2015, 04:05

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Toroic » 02 Jul 2016, 11:16

+1, the number of idiots who shove is too high. Perhaps some can see an obvious sign.
"Crush your enemies. See them driven before you..."

Xenos Vult
User avatar
Ocnjak20
Registered user
Posts: 143
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 09:37
Location: Croatia

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Ocnjak20 » 02 Jul 2016, 11:26

+1 Agreed this should be made to avoid salty and angry engineers.
User avatar
Monoo
Registered user
Posts: 590
Joined: 16 Apr 2016, 14:38
Location: Deep in the salt mines
Byond ID: MonocledGerbil

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Monoo » 02 Jul 2016, 12:17

Ocnjak20 wrote:+1 Agreed this should be made to avoid salty and angry engineers.


Trust me, we're ALWAYS salty.
I play as JOOLS KIRBY.
I don't want to be a soldier,
Who the captain of some sinking ship
Would stow
Far below...
User avatar
Warnipple
Registered user
Posts: 635
Joined: 13 Jun 2016, 08:57
Location: Kanoya Airfield

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Warnipple » 02 Jul 2016, 12:33

+1 the only reason why I don't play combat engineer is because after someone moves into my square, I get a strong urge to shoot them.
Accurate representation of my character as Corporate Liason: http://i.imgur.com/Ynnvuxx.png
Image
User avatar
Jeser
Registered user
Posts: 974
Joined: 04 Mar 2015, 00:47
Location: Donetsk, Ukraine

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Jeser » 02 Jul 2016, 13:54

OF-COURSE-FUCKING-YES!!

+100k!

I'm almost at the point when I will just warn one time and shoot people if they shove me after a warning. Please, do this!
Jeser "Fox" Aushwitz.

Jeser believes only in one thing - common sense.

Image
Image
Image

Apop's permission:
Click
User avatar
Sailor Dave
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 155
Joined: 31 Dec 2014, 20:22

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Sailor Dave » 02 Jul 2016, 13:56

+1. Very much yes please. No more shoving.
User avatar
KingKire
Registered user
Posts: 710
Joined: 30 May 2016, 11:53

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby KingKire » 28 Dec 2016, 11:01

bump. Its been a strong game point that alot of the devs want to reduce UI overlays as much as possible, so instead of an actual icon, i think a really! good substitution would be construction getting a sound clip, such as a rachet wrench or an industrial drill sound.
Gaze upon me,
for I have wandered deep into the ancient tombs of knowledge to which lie madness and sorrow, cleansing a path for all those who walk behind me...


...

But seriously, does uh, anyone know the way out?!


~Furthermore, I consider that Floodlights should no longer be destroyed.~
User avatar
TopHatPenguin
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 2253
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 18:06
Location: Forever Editing The Wiki.
Byond ID: TopHatPenguin
Contact:

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby TopHatPenguin » 28 Dec 2016, 11:14

KingKire wrote:Its been a strong game point that alot of the devs want to reduce UI overlays as much as possible, so instead of an actual icon, i think a really! good substitution would be construction getting a sound clip, such as a rachet wrench or an industrial drill sound.

This I can get behind and would also love to have in to help with the engineers struggles of building.
User avatar
apophis775
Host
Host
Posts: 5551
Joined: 22 Aug 2014, 18:05
Location: Ice Colony
Byond ID: Apophis775
Contact:

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby apophis775 » 28 Dec 2016, 13:57

We'll look into this, stickied.
ImageImage
flamecow wrote: "unga dunga me want the attachment" - average marine
User avatar
Surrealistik
Registered user
Posts: 1294
Joined: 04 Jul 2015, 17:57

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Surrealistik » 28 Dec 2016, 14:43

+1 Yes please. And not just for construction, but repairs as well, such as to a floodlight, etc...
Sur 'Druglord' Lahzar; Combat Engineer, Demolitions Specialist, Perpetually Understaffed and Exasperated CMO/Researcher

Sur 'Druglord' Lahzar says, "ASS BLAST U-S-A!!!"
User avatar
Butterrobber202
Registered user
Posts: 551
Joined: 15 Mar 2015, 22:52
Location: In a Super Secret Nerd Underground Bunker

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Butterrobber202 » 04 Jan 2017, 15:40

+1

Please make it so.

The Fucknuggets that push Engis are TOO DAMN HIGH
the alien drone (848) has been robusted with the emergency toolbox by Johnny 'Snowball' Redem!

► Show Spoiler


► Show Spoiler
User avatar
SmithPants
Registered user
Posts: 9
Joined: 08 Jan 2017, 01:48
Byond ID: SmithPants

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby SmithPants » 09 Jan 2017, 06:11

+1 , Because I want. People walk into me all the time, And when I yell at them they just say sorry they didn't realize.
Times tricked into blowing up the SM because of THAT STUPID GUIDE IN ENGINEERING - 1
Times SM has been ejected on my watch - 2
Times SM has Blown up the ship on my watch and IT WASN'T THAT STUPID GUIDE - 0
Times I've saved the ship due to my masterful welding - 1
Times I've had to fix Atmos - 1
User avatar
Karmac
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1619
Joined: 08 Aug 2016, 00:29
Location: Queensland, Australia
Byond ID: Karmac

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Karmac » 09 Jan 2017, 07:29

+1 had too many marines shove me because they dont want to walk around me and assume I'm just afk. I know there are some people out there who shove engies just for the sake of it however, and that saddens me.
Garth 'Grouch' Pawolski, usually helpful. If nothing else, I generally refuse to die in situations where I most certainly should have.

Community Contributor, one of the first.

Honorable Breadator: Nracha-dte Kv'var-de (Relentless Hunter)

► Show Spoiler
User avatar
Jeser
Registered user
Posts: 974
Joined: 04 Mar 2015, 00:47
Location: Donetsk, Ukraine

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Jeser » 10 Jan 2017, 14:13

Carmac wrote:+1 had too many marines shove me because they dont want to walk around me and assume I'm just afk. I know there are some people out there who shove engies just for the sake of it however, and that saddens me.


Usually, after I yell once: "IF SOMEONE WILL PUSH ME AGAIN, HE WILL BE SHOT" people start going around me.

Still +1, we need this.
Jeser "Fox" Aushwitz.

Jeser believes only in one thing - common sense.

Image
Image
Image

Apop's permission:
Click
User avatar
Recounted
Registered user
Posts: 248
Joined: 23 Jul 2016, 11:49
Location: Xenohive

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Recounted » 15 Jan 2017, 15:03

Dude4Life wrote:Summary (a quick, 2-3 sentence summary):
So, the idea here is that when an engineer is constructing or dismantling something and the action itself requires time to wait and stand still, there would be a small construction icon (two crossed wrenches or something) above the engineer, so others can see that they're building or dismantling something. That would increase efficiency of construction/dismantling and would reduce the amount of shoving the engineers that are trying to (de)construct stuff. Just to clarify, the icon itself wouldn't necessary stop the shoving game mechanic, it just would let people know when they shouldn't shove the engineer trying to construct something. Of course, this icon could only work on engineer classes, because others are not really supposed to do construction anyway.

Benefits (How this will benefit the server and game as a whole):
This small icon would let other players know when exactly they shouldn't shove/move/pull the engineer.

Details (Description of how you think this would work, the benefits, etc):
The icon (like I said before, maybe like two crossed wrenches) would show above an engineer for the duration in which they are doing a timed (de)construction interaction and have to stand still. This should/could work for almost all engineering actions (that need time to complete), eg: girders, walls, barricades, and so on. Now I don't know if it's even possible to add temporary icons above engineers with this code but it would help greatly.

Extra idea : Add in the option to toggle the same icon on/off by player's own choice.

Implementation (Optional, if you have an idea how to implement it): (heavy) coding and some spriting? Afterall, not sure if it's possible to implement it with this code though, just an idea that would help people more.

+1 +1 +1 NEEDED
Image
kiss the six
Image
User avatar
Sarah_U.
Registered user
Posts: 1256
Joined: 24 Apr 2016, 07:19

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Sarah_U. » 16 Jan 2017, 09:18

How about you take all of my +1s?
CM was obviously inspired by Starcraft: Ghost opening. At least when marines takes too long to deploy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4JSohL ... e=youtu.be

► Show Spoiler
User avatar
NoahKirchner
Registered user
Posts: 1353
Joined: 02 Aug 2016, 15:58
Location: Sea of Tranquility, Luna
Byond ID: NoahKirchner
Contact:

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby NoahKirchner » 17 Jan 2017, 17:07

+1

YES PLEASE
► Show Spoiler
User avatar
Thatnewguy01
Registered user
Posts: 46
Joined: 09 Sep 2016, 10:20
Location: Kentucky USA
Byond ID: Thenewguy1

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Thatnewguy01 » 18 Jan 2017, 09:53

Yes lord +1
Us marnies? We're a family that means no one gets left behind or forgotten

times killed by aliens-12

times killed by 'teammates'-27

Confirmed kills-6

Queen machete kills-1
Image

Image
User avatar
Snypehunter007
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2113
Joined: 02 Dec 2015, 17:14
Location: Georgia
Byond ID: Snypehunter007
Contact:

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Snypehunter007 » 19 Jan 2017, 10:44

+1 for quality of life.
► Show Spoiler

Staff History:
► Show Spoiler
User avatar
Swagile
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 855
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 11:56
Byond ID: Swagile

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby Swagile » 19 Jan 2017, 13:27

Tg has a blue loading bar above people who are doing any timed action such as building / tools, but it shows only for the person doing it.

Could use that code but make it show to everyone in view range so people see a loading bar above people to show that they are both building + what the progress is on what they are doing.
User avatar
wastedfate
Registered user
Posts: 74
Joined: 16 Dec 2015, 04:01

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby wastedfate » 21 Jan 2017, 20:54

+1 But, please, please, please don't make it visible to Aliens. I'll take having to resort to "accidentally" smacking repeat offenders with the metal sheets and cable coils over having a huge target painted on me any day.
Image
User avatar
juliansl
Registered user
Posts: 15
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 13:27
Location: Trondheim, Norway

Re: A temporary icon above engineers that are building something.

Postby juliansl » 22 Jan 2017, 03:35

+1 but I agree with wastedfate it mustn't be visible to xenos.

Return to “Resolved Suggestions/Bugs”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests