Donor Specific Chat

Post your brilliant ideas here, or complain about how nothing works.
User avatar
Desolane900
Donor
Donor
Posts: 575
Joined: 07 Aug 2015, 19:00
Location: Drinking Coffee In The Inner Rims Of Space
Byond ID: desolane900
Contact:

Donor Specific Chat

Postby Desolane900 » 30 Sep 2016, 04:43

Summary (a quick, 2-3 sentence summary): Make a donor chat in the Discord only staff and donors can see/chat in.

Benefits (How this will benefit the server and game as a whole): Things in development would get feedback from actual players in the playerbase.

Details (Description of how you think this would work, the benefits, etc): It's such a pain in the ass looking through the Development thread and having nobody to discuss it with since fukken normies reee are not allowed to know about literally anything in it. Some topics that's even explicitly stated. I just want a place I can talk to other people about upcoming things without repercussions.

Implementation (Optional, if you have an idea how to implement it): make new Discord role and chat room.
"At countless points in history, there are tales of men who laugh in the face of nightmares whilst entire civilizations weep. I enjoy being that man." - Saul Freytia

Image
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw7qW4meknY&t=30s
User avatar
Sars Clayton
Registered user
Posts: 55
Joined: 27 Aug 2016, 13:12
Location: Beer, surf and sharks
Byond ID: Tidal7

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Sars Clayton » 30 Sep 2016, 04:48

1+ good idea.
User avatar
TopHatPenguin
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 2042
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 18:06
Location: Drinking Tea In The Outer Rims Of Space
Byond ID: TopHatPenguin

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby TopHatPenguin » 30 Sep 2016, 05:05

Yeah, I can agree with this, as before I want to give feedback on development currently I have to check everyone in the channel is a donor.
User avatar
Jroinc1
Registered user
Posts: 683
Joined: 10 May 2016, 22:32
Location: Changes too rapidly
Byond ID: Jroinc1

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Jroinc1 » 30 Sep 2016, 07:36

Wait, dev info's locked to donors? How long has this been a thing?
Mentor-
3 Nov 16-15 Jan 17

Atmos bombs built- 16
Hull breaches repaired- 6
Charged SMs manually dragged to space- 2
Backup tcomms systems set- 4
SM de-lamination weapons detonated- 0
Times I've burned half the ship to a crisp- 5
Times I've burned half the ship to a crisp ACCIDENTALLY- 2
Engine SMs de-laminated on my watch- 0

Upper deck engines made-1
Lower deck engines made-1

Total kills with SM- 6

Most surgeries done at once- 3
Most anesthetic tanks used in a round- 3
Most surgeries done using only personal supplies- 37
Most perdiox made w/in 5 min of roundstart- 540u
User avatar
TopHatPenguin
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 2042
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 18:06
Location: Drinking Tea In The Outer Rims Of Space
Byond ID: TopHatPenguin

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby TopHatPenguin » 30 Sep 2016, 08:06

JPR wrote:Wait, dev info's locked to donors? How long has this been a thing?


This has been in place for a rather long time.
User avatar
Jroinc1
Registered user
Posts: 683
Joined: 10 May 2016, 22:32
Location: Changes too rapidly
Byond ID: Jroinc1

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Jroinc1 » 30 Sep 2016, 09:13

TopHatPenguin wrote:
JPR wrote:Wait, dev info's locked to donors? How long has this been a thing?


This has been in place for a rather long time.

Huh. Never knew it, just always thought there WAS no info given.
Neat.
Mentor-
3 Nov 16-15 Jan 17

Atmos bombs built- 16
Hull breaches repaired- 6
Charged SMs manually dragged to space- 2
Backup tcomms systems set- 4
SM de-lamination weapons detonated- 0
Times I've burned half the ship to a crisp- 5
Times I've burned half the ship to a crisp ACCIDENTALLY- 2
Engine SMs de-laminated on my watch- 0

Upper deck engines made-1
Lower deck engines made-1

Total kills with SM- 6

Most surgeries done at once- 3
Most anesthetic tanks used in a round- 3
Most surgeries done using only personal supplies- 37
Most perdiox made w/in 5 min of roundstart- 540u
User avatar
forwardslashN
Senior Dev
Senior Dev
Posts: 2148
Joined: 14 Dec 2015, 23:12
Byond ID: forwardslashN

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby forwardslashN » 30 Sep 2016, 11:13

Stickied.
Image
The ambivalent giant white baldie in a jungle near you.
User avatar
TopHatPenguin
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 2042
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 18:06
Location: Drinking Tea In The Outer Rims Of Space
Byond ID: TopHatPenguin

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby TopHatPenguin » 30 Sep 2016, 11:49

Just to check quickly, is it still the case where only donors who are staff and normal donors who (Excluding devs and HM/HA) can see the dev forum or is it that all of the staff can now?


On another note generally as a donor you have nobody to talk about your view with, unless you Pm other donors or devs/staff and even then it's not exactly a group discussion with everyone thinking about a concept and throwing out their ideas on how to improve it. I welcome this idea so that we, as donors can give feedback on concepts, maps, in the works ideas and a whole bunch more.
User avatar
Boltersam
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 1204
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 05:43
Location: Ireland
Byond ID: Boltersam

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Boltersam » 30 Sep 2016, 13:22

I can't say that I know what it's like for donors, but seeing as it's a needed thing so that Donors can actually discuss development, I couldn't be against it. +1.
Image

Honorabru melee (Predator)
Predators killed: 2
Duels lost: 2
Powerful T3/4s killed: 1

T3 melee kills (Human)

-Ancient Ravager: 1

Times reached Ancient T3 (Xeno)

Ancient Crusher: 1 time(s)
User avatar
Seehund
Donor
Donor
Posts: 494
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 12:28
Location: Unter dem Meer.

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Seehund » 30 Sep 2016, 16:08

I, for one, would not be cool with this.
Donations are just that, donations. You get some nice perks, but I'd rather we didn't just keep piling them on.

Plus, I don't think we need an elite lounge to further drive a wall between 'regulars' and donors.
Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die. Follow your heart, kid, and you'll never go wrong.
User avatar
TopHatPenguin
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 2042
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 18:06
Location: Drinking Tea In The Outer Rims Of Space
Byond ID: TopHatPenguin

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby TopHatPenguin » 30 Sep 2016, 17:18

Seehund wrote:I, for one, would not be cool with this.
Donations are just that, donations. You get some nice perks, but I'd rather we didn't just keep piling them on.

Plus, I don't think we need an elite lounge to further drive a wall between 'regulars' and donors.

I don't really see how this is piling it on or would turn it into an 'elite lounge' as it's pretty much just an area for donors to discuss their views/ideas on the dev forum. Without this before a donor wants to talk about something in the dev forums they have to check that everyone in that channel is a donor and if not then you can't talk about it. Honestly I wouldn't view this as splitting the regs from donors as this is just a place to type out "Oh, hey this might be cool" and "This looks kind of interesting and I think if they do X, Y and Z it could be great" it's not as if it would be a meta squad dividing the community, it would be a channel for discussion on the topic of developments.
User avatar
Desolane900
Donor
Donor
Posts: 575
Joined: 07 Aug 2015, 19:00
Location: Drinking Coffee In The Inner Rims Of Space
Byond ID: desolane900
Contact:

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Desolane900 » 30 Sep 2016, 17:56

TopHatPenguin wrote:
Seehund wrote:I, for one, would not be cool with this.
Donations are just that, donations. You get some nice perks, but I'd rather we didn't just keep piling them on.

Plus, I don't think we need an elite lounge to further drive a wall between 'regulars' and donors.

I don't really see how this is piling it on or would turn it into an 'elite lounge' as it's pretty much just an area for donors to discuss their views/ideas on the dev forum. Without this before a donor wants to talk about something in the dev forums they have to check that everyone in that channel is a donor and if not then you can't talk about it. Honestly I wouldn't view this as splitting the regs from donors as this is just a place to type out "Oh, hey this might be cool" and "This looks kind of interesting and I think if they do X, Y and Z it could be great" it's not as if it would be a meta squad dividing the community, it would be a channel for discussion on the topic of developments.

Thank god someone gets it.
"At countless points in history, there are tales of men who laugh in the face of nightmares whilst entire civilizations weep. I enjoy being that man." - Saul Freytia

Image
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw7qW4meknY&t=30s
User avatar
Sars Clayton
Registered user
Posts: 55
Joined: 27 Aug 2016, 13:12
Location: Beer, surf and sharks
Byond ID: Tidal7

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Sars Clayton » 30 Sep 2016, 23:30

You still got your donors who donated $5 two years ago and just pretending like they're a vital part of the community.
RoswellRay
Donor
Donor
Posts: 297
Joined: 18 Oct 2014, 00:12

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby RoswellRay » 04 Oct 2016, 13:25

>Wanting a special club to hang out with losers cucked out of their money by apophis.

Whatever nerds.
User avatar
Carmac
Registered user
Posts: 859
Joined: 08 Aug 2016, 00:29
Location: Queensland, Australia
Byond ID: Karmac

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Carmac » 06 Nov 2016, 18:48

TopHatPenguin wrote:I don't really see how this is piling it on or would turn it into an 'elite lounge' as it's pretty much just an area for donors to discuss their views/ideas on the dev forum. Without this before a donor wants to talk about something in the dev forums they have to check that everyone in that channel is a donor and if not then you can't talk about it. Honestly I wouldn't view this as splitting the regs from donors as this is just a place to type out "Oh, hey this might be cool" and "This looks kind of interesting and I think if they do X, Y and Z it could be great" it's not as if it would be a meta squad dividing the community, it would be a channel for discussion on the topic of developments.


A better solution would be to just ask for Seehund to give Donors access to the Dev's chat room in Discord.
Garth Pawolski, usually helpful. If nothing else, I generally refuse to die in situations where I most certainly should have.

Rest In Piece Markowitz.

Predators Boot Knifed to Death: 1 2
Predators killed with C4: 1

Image

Image
User avatar
TopHatPenguin
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 2042
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 18:06
Location: Drinking Tea In The Outer Rims Of Space
Byond ID: TopHatPenguin

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby TopHatPenguin » 06 Nov 2016, 20:18

Carmac wrote:A better solution would be to just ask for Seehund to give Donors access to the Dev's chat room in Discord.

Both have the same outcome so either way it fixes the problem.
User avatar
EastGermanStasi
Donor
Donor
Posts: 62
Joined: 23 May 2015, 21:30

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby EastGermanStasi » 13 Nov 2016, 20:25

This just encourages more circle jerking and divides donors from non-donors. Usually exclusive chats are shit fest anyway.
User avatar
apophis775
Host
Host
Posts: 5068
Joined: 22 Aug 2014, 18:05
Location: Ice Colony
Byond ID: Apophis775
Contact:

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby apophis775 » 28 Dec 2016, 13:01

Devs would need to discuss this, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.
Image
flamecow wrote: "unga dunga me want the attachment" - average marine
User avatar
Desolane900
Donor
Donor
Posts: 575
Joined: 07 Aug 2015, 19:00
Location: Drinking Coffee In The Inner Rims Of Space
Byond ID: desolane900
Contact:

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Desolane900 » 07 Jan 2017, 00:05

apophis775 wrote:Devs would need to discuss this, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.


The intention behind this suggestion was the fact that donors can't talk about things in development with "normies" (ree) so I wanted a place where I can look at other donors and say "Oh that big red map that's in development looks pretty gud huh?"

Since I can't talk to normies about developing projects and your dev team is sworn to secrecy, I just wanted a place to fangirl about certain things with other people who are allowed to view said things. Who knows, you could also use it as a source of community input for those times you don't want to dump an iffy idea in General Discussion to get feedback.
"At countless points in history, there are tales of men who laugh in the face of nightmares whilst entire civilizations weep. I enjoy being that man." - Saul Freytia

Image
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw7qW4meknY&t=30s
User avatar
UnknownMurder
Registered user
Posts: 2202
Joined: 15 Dec 2014, 08:03
Location: Ascension

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby UnknownMurder » 08 Jan 2017, 12:32

Seehund wrote:I, for one, would not be cool with this.
Donations are just that, donations. You get some nice perks, but I'd rather we didn't just keep piling them on.

Plus, I don't think we need an elite lounge to further drive a wall between 'regulars' and donors.


This is still how I still feel about it. Though, I am a small time 'regular''. There are 'regulars' people who has been actively part of the gameplay enough but chooses not to pay and be a normal player. As you've said, a channel to discuss on the development should only be restricted to the developers as it is in the name.

We need to consider the difference between payment and donation regarding this topic. I think the term donating and paying needs to be made clearer. Donation is just a money handing out on their will to the server for a good cause. A payment is usually made in exchange for the provision of goods, services or both, or to fulfill a legal obligation, then a business is established. Henceforth, are we paying to get this strong ability to talk with customers and developers in an elite lounge? it's no different from ROBLOX's VIP access. If this becomes a thing, then then the definition of this transaction would switch from "donation" to "payment".
Image
User avatar
Nightcaper
Registered user
Posts: 52
Joined: 08 Sep 2016, 00:17
Byond ID: Nightcaper

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Nightcaper » 27 Jan 2017, 14:30

EastGermanStasi wrote:This just encourages more circle jerking and divides donors from non-donors. Usually exclusive chats are shit fest anyway.


UnknownMurder wrote:This is still how I still feel about it. Though, I am a small time 'regular''. There are 'regulars' people who has been actively part of the gameplay enough but chooses not to pay and be a normal player. As you've said, a channel to discuss on the development should only be restricted to the developers as it is in the name.

We need to consider the difference between payment and donation regarding this topic. I think the term donating and paying needs to be made clearer. Donation is just a money handing out on their will to the server for a good cause. A payment is usually made in exchange for the provision of goods, services or both, or to fulfill a legal obligation, then a business is established. Henceforth, are we paying to get this strong ability to talk with customers and developers in an elite lounge? it's no different from ROBLOX's VIP access. If this becomes a thing, then then the definition of this transaction would switch from "donation" to "payment".


Seehund wrote:I, for one, would not be cool with this.
Donations are just that, donations. You get some nice perks, but I'd rather we didn't just keep piling them on.

Plus, I don't think we need an elite lounge to further drive a wall between 'regulars' and donors.



First of all I appreciate the fact that donors supported CM, as it's the only SS13 server I play on. However, I'm of a mind with everyone I've quoted above, having exclusive chats would be the first step to elitism. It will bring a metaphorical divider between those who did donate, and those who didn't, no matter what the reason is for having an exclusive chat. If this step is taken, then what next? Where will we go from there? Like Seehund said, it's going to keep piling on, and it's not a good idea to create that divider, or widen that gap. The idea sounds innocent enough, give donors a place where they can discuss recent developments, but what if it evolves in to donors palling around in staff channels one day? This doesn't seem like a good idea at all, and will probably do more damage than good.

It will also set a precedence that people want to be a part of a club, so they'll donate not really to support CM but to get access to a 'club'. -1
User avatar
Desolane900
Donor
Donor
Posts: 575
Joined: 07 Aug 2015, 19:00
Location: Drinking Coffee In The Inner Rims Of Space
Byond ID: desolane900
Contact:

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Desolane900 » 27 Jan 2017, 14:58

>want to talk to other people about development
>instead seen as elitist cuckery
mfw

Image
"At countless points in history, there are tales of men who laugh in the face of nightmares whilst entire civilizations weep. I enjoy being that man." - Saul Freytia

Image
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw7qW4meknY&t=30s
User avatar
TopHatPenguin
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 2042
Joined: 14 Dec 2014, 18:06
Location: Drinking Tea In The Outer Rims Of Space
Byond ID: TopHatPenguin

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby TopHatPenguin » 27 Jan 2017, 18:29

I'm biased to the topic as a whole as a donor but honestly I'm with desolane on this, it's going to only be for development discussion not a place to hang out and go "wow aren't we the cool kids". A lot of what people have said is also on the "oh but this may happen" well if it does delete the, channel/chat/whatever it's not as if it's going to be untouchable, as well as the fact that the reason people donate wouldn't change, most donors currently donated to support the server and get a reward out of doing so, if donations re-open with this that wont change at all. In regards of the it'll turn from donations to payment it practically already has, custom donor gear being one of the reasons as an incentive to donate.

With everyone effectively being scared of this suggestion for a number of reasons, why not give it a trial run?
User avatar
Desolane900
Donor
Donor
Posts: 575
Joined: 07 Aug 2015, 19:00
Location: Drinking Coffee In The Inner Rims Of Space
Byond ID: desolane900
Contact:

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Desolane900 » 27 Jan 2017, 18:44

TopHatPenguin wrote:I'm biased to the topic as a whole as a donor but honestly I'm with desolane on this, it's going to only be for development discussion not a place to hang out and go "wow aren't we the cool kids". A lot of what people have said is also on the "oh but this may happen" well if it does delete the, channel/chat/whatever it's not as if it's going to be untouchable, as well as the fact that the reason people donate wouldn't change, most donors currently donated to support the server and get a reward out of doing so, if donations re-open with this that wont change at all. In regards of the it'll turn from donations to payment it practically already has, custom donor gear being one of the reasons as an incentive to donate.

With everyone effectively being scared of this suggestion for a number of reasons, why not give it a trial run?


I threw $50 at the server while donations were closed and didn't get my title until 7 months afterwards, on top of not getting an in game item. I don't give a shit about incentives. Donors see the dev thread while fukken normies don't. Nothing is changing aside from a place where a donor can say "Hey look at that Big Red thing in development. It looks like it needs more blank." Whatever delusion someone can conjure up to try and shoot this down is as pointless as it gets. I'm not asking for donors to get better guns than everyone else. I'm not asking for donors to get metaknowledge.
"At countless points in history, there are tales of men who laugh in the face of nightmares whilst entire civilizations weep. I enjoy being that man." - Saul Freytia

Image
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw7qW4meknY&t=30s
User avatar
Boltersam
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 1204
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 05:43
Location: Ireland
Byond ID: Boltersam

Re: Donor Specific Chat

Postby Boltersam » 28 Jan 2017, 19:12

Due to my relative nonbias, I'll put in my say.

First of all, elitism isn't the problem here. Donors are treated the exact same as non-paying players and always will be. Donors will never have access to the staff channel for being a donor.

Second, there is a similar, in fact almost exact same thing, done for Predators, so we could discuss predator-only stuff. It's gone on for quite a while (see: several months) without a hitch. A donor channel would be policed, perhaps even more so than the Predator channel, by staff.

Third, I ran out of points but I'll make a tl;dr and a closing message.

Tl;dr
A "Donor channel" situation has already been trialed in the case of the Yautja channel, and went off without a hitch. Besides that, staff will police the donor channel, a lot.

Closing message,
I think it's been pretty clear, at least it should be, that the only thing Donors get from this, is to talk about stuff that they and staff have access to. I'll address the concerns about elitism: It's not going to happen. Donors will not get more than they currently have, this just gives them a place to talk about it. Donors will never get special treatment, or things like access to staffchat. These are not concerns, at all.

PS: I have too much blackmail from recording staffchat to let some rotten donors and their nasty mutt foil my plans.
Image

Honorabru melee (Predator)
Predators killed: 2
Duels lost: 2
Powerful T3/4s killed: 1

T3 melee kills (Human)

-Ancient Ravager: 1

Times reached Ancient T3 (Xeno)

Ancient Crusher: 1 time(s)

Return to “Suggestions”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TellTale and 1 guest