Updates discussion thread

Generic, on-topic discussion about Colonial Marines.
User avatar
TehSpoderman
Registered user
Posts: 788
Joined: 05 Feb 2017, 22:10
Byond ID: TehSpoderman

Updates discussion thread

Post by TehSpoderman » 16 Sep 2017, 17:28

This thread is for people to discuss new updates and give their opinions. Please do not go overboard and get this thread locked. This thread is mainly to help the devs and help them see what players think of new updates.

Here is the changelog from the wiki: changelog/
Duke 'Oddshot' Stroh - The Bamboozler
Mentor: June 5th - September 1st
Check out my mapping dumping grounds: http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 14&t=14204 . It's where people share their mapping projects and ask for feedback. Check it out pls <3

Bronimin
Registered user
Posts: 242
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 21:58

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Bronimin » 16 Sep 2017, 18:29

Resting xenos are CUTE!

I will miss feeding the queen my sticky purple stuff.

Xenos are getting pushed very easily because combat recovery pheromone has been nerfed, as well as the Big Red weed changes meaning that hallways cannot be fortified and are much easier to clear of weeds. Crushers in particular get messed up because they lose their deflection while they are resting.

The walls around LZ-2 look gnarly but I do like the walkway leading up to the pad. Where is the button to control those shutters? For the walls, I'd just remove the walls and fill in the tunnel to the west with plain rock.


Crushers produce 'asteroid' turf when they destroy rock on Big Red which can be weeded, not sure if intentional.

User avatar
davidofmk771
Registered user
Posts: 128
Joined: 25 Jun 2017, 04:25
Location: flerda
Byond ID: Davidofmk771

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by davidofmk771 » 16 Sep 2017, 19:38

I can see this having a serious impact on how rounds play out when marines start getting settled into it. This leaves xenos with a vital choice when it comes to health regeneration, and i'm hoping this whole thing will spur marines into pushing xenos more and sitting in slowly degenerating FOBs less often.

User avatar
Zilenan91
Registered user
Posts: 175
Joined: 13 Mar 2016, 21:30

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Zilenan91 » 16 Sep 2017, 19:41

LZ2 sucks still because there's multiple spread out lanes of attack for it and no tcomms, and LZ1 was actually buffed despite what the changelog and devs say. It's stronger than it was before.

User avatar
BladeBr
Registered user
Posts: 318
Joined: 12 Jun 2017, 14:09
Byond ID: blade2000br

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by BladeBr » 16 Sep 2017, 19:52

Zilenan91 wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 19:41
LZ2 sucks still because there's multiple spread out lanes of attack for it and no tcomms, and LZ1 was actually buffed despite what the changelog and devs say. It's stronger than it was before.
that moment an marine nerf actually buff the marines:
Image

still, I liked this new change. Seeing xenos rest over the marines cams are so damn CUTE. IT ALMOST MAKES ME HUG AND THEN POINT BLANK BUCKSHOT HER TEETH~

Well done devs. no golf clap here. only *clap.
Jason 'Punk' Crowmel - The guy that don't give a shit about what he does.

Former Rapey Ravager Hater.

User avatar
Renomaki
Registered user
Posts: 1376
Joined: 22 Jul 2016, 18:26

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Renomaki » 16 Sep 2017, 20:54

I think giving the *rest* action more purpose other than simply to allow others to walk over you is a real dandy idea. Xenos often just stand still on weeds anyways, so it doesn't change too much.

The lack of the ability to transfer plasma is a shame, though, but on the bright side, we regen plasma when wounded or not. In a sense, we traded off one thing for something else.

Also, I like how xenos can't just spam weeds everywhere on Big Red anymore, which would give them an absurd advantage compared to other maps. Makes Big Red a bit more bearable now.
Sometimes, bravery comes from the most unlikely sources.

An inspirational song for when ye be feeling blue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5_zvuPw8xU

User avatar
Zilenan91
Registered user
Posts: 175
Joined: 13 Mar 2016, 21:30

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Zilenan91 » 16 Sep 2017, 22:17

I disagree. Big Red seems extremely marine-sided right now. Stuff like CAS and flamethrowers lets marines burn away what few weeds the xenos have and then they're kinda SOL and just automatically lose ground. I hope the dirt change gets reverted because it means that xenos effectively can't use 50% of the map with dirt around it.

User avatar
Zilenan91
Registered user
Posts: 175
Joined: 13 Mar 2016, 21:30

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Zilenan91 » 16 Sep 2017, 22:22

I feel like the dirt change was made so as to make Big Red more like LV where xenos can't just bunker down and spread everywhere. This is a good idea because it means that it can break up certain parts of the map, but it just doesn't work because unlike LV the map isn't designed to make this balanced, the places where you can place hives are utterly surrounded by dirt so you can't do anything as a xeno. You just get pinned up inside your hive and then you die because you can't put weeds anywhere.

Like the section of jungle above Hydro on LV is fine because of the coastlines and how open the terrain is. Xenos have a small spot to heal that's not too close to marines to let them just creep up on them, and it's open enough so that if they get flanked or someone just runs at them they can run back over the river where it's safe. There's no part of Big Red that lets them run away because the only spots they can safely put hives are surrounded by dirt, so there's no frontline they can run away from since all they have is their hive.

Bronimin
Registered user
Posts: 242
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 21:58

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Bronimin » 16 Sep 2017, 22:55

Played a game as a drone, didn't really like it. You spend a lot of time resting when before you'd be running around the battlefield when your plasma runs low. Much less interesting.

User avatar
Surrealistik
Registered user
Posts: 1437
Joined: 04 Jul 2015, 17:57

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Surrealistik » 16 Sep 2017, 23:12

I largely like it except for what is a massive indirect nerf for the Hivelord given that one of his primary functions was to serve as a plasma battery; Hivelord should regain the ability to transfer plasma.

Also since he wasn't in a particularly strong place to begin with and clearly has a special affinity with weeds, I think he should retain the old passive plasma regen rate while standing.

Bam, plasma battery niche for the Hivelord.
Sur 'Druglord' Lahzar; Combat Engineer, Perpetually Understaffed and Exasperated CMO/Doctor/Researcher

Sur 'Druglord' Lahzar says, "ASS BLAST U-S-A!!!"

User avatar
solidfury7
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 317
Joined: 28 Jul 2016, 20:54

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by solidfury7 » 17 Sep 2017, 00:13

Zilenan91 wrote:
16 Sep 2017, 22:17
I disagree. Big Red seems extremely marine-sided right now. Stuff like CAS and flamethrowers lets marines burn away what few weeds the xenos have and then they're kinda SOL and just automatically lose ground. I hope the dirt change gets reverted because it means that xenos effectively can't use 50% of the map with dirt around it.
Using a CAS or flamethrowers on weeds is a positive thing for ayy.

They're extremely limited in supply, hell it's an amazing trade off.
Character
William 'Jester' Crimson
Roles
Commander
Squad Leader
Bridge Officer
Medic

User avatar
Renomaki
Registered user
Posts: 1376
Joined: 22 Jul 2016, 18:26

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Renomaki » 17 Sep 2017, 01:25

Honestly, HIvelords already have primary function: Heavy construction.

You might not notice it a whole lot, but hivelords are capable of building reinforced hive structures. Hivelords aren't always present, but when they are, you'll know by the sight of darkened resinwalls, which are a bitch to knife down and take a lot more bullets to take out. They, like praes, also still have the ability to emit buffs, one of them being recovery. You might not get to provide bulk plasma to the queen anymore, but you can still provide them a boost in regeneration.

Also, I don't see what is so bad about the current situation with Big Red. On LV, you could only really fully weed one half of the map, the other half being heavily restrictive in where you could place weeds, yet no one ever complained then. Ice is even more annoying with all the snow that you have to dig just so you can expand, which most xenos didn't bother with anyways and stuck with what was already uncovered with snow. And Big Red? Well, you can't weed dirt anymore, but there is plenty of indoor sections where you can weed, as well as small pathways between the buildings. You still get plenty to weed, it is just that now you can't just overwhelm marines with an insane about of weed-tiles.

Lets be honest, no one had fun having to deal with weeds covering 100% of the map. Xenos may be expected to win 75% of the time, but still... Marines deserve a break sometimes.

Keep in mind, I was a queen that got to play the update first hand, no readjustments. We managed to do pretty well, laying plenty of eggs and expanding from Lambda and all the way to the dorms before assaulting LZ1 and taking it. You just need to adjust your tactics is all.
Sometimes, bravery comes from the most unlikely sources.

An inspirational song for when ye be feeling blue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5_zvuPw8xU

User avatar
Surrealistik
Registered user
Posts: 1437
Joined: 04 Jul 2015, 17:57

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Surrealistik » 17 Sep 2017, 01:31

Renomaki wrote:
17 Sep 2017, 01:25
Honestly, HIvelords already have primary function: Heavy construction.

You might not notice it a whole lot, but hivelords are capable of building reinforced hive structures. Hivelords aren't always present, but when they are, you'll know by the sight of darkened resinwalls, which are a bitch to knife down and take a lot more bullets to take out. They, like praes, also still have the ability to emit buffs, one of them being recovery. You might not get to provide bulk plasma to the queen anymore, but you can still provide them a boost in regeneration.
I know exactly what Hivelords do.

That they lost a key niche while they're already one of the weakest and least essential castes in the game is a problem.
Sur 'Druglord' Lahzar; Combat Engineer, Perpetually Understaffed and Exasperated CMO/Doctor/Researcher

Sur 'Druglord' Lahzar says, "ASS BLAST U-S-A!!!"

User avatar
Tidomann
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 449
Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 02:59
Location: Canada
Byond ID: Tidomann

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Tidomann » 17 Sep 2017, 12:26

With the changes to weeding, and the experimental resting mechanic I think there's going to be some I use of carriers again. Indoor areas are going to become much more contested since there is limited weeding locations AND xenos need to properly retreat and become vulnerable when sitting (crested defenses go down, can't stay offensive when regenerating plasma).

It's a large energy investment to get eggs at the new locations and resting at the resting location can leave the queen vulnerable. Carriers are going to be good to bridge that period between moving the hive into a new location. Even having huggers for the queen or drones to slap on marines overextending to try and harass resting xenos is already good to have. Throw a higher by a drone and watch him slap a marine around a corner.

There is a lot to experiment with in the changes. It's exciting

User avatar
Mook476
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 486
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 20:01
Byond ID: Mook476

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Mook476 » 17 Sep 2017, 12:48

This changes up the game play quite a bit for xenos in my opinion. I don't think the xenos can keep up their constant sieges, and skirmishes/battles now due to this new healing mechanic where as before a xeno could just go in and out.
ImageImage Joakim 'Mook Sundberg some meme.
Image Image Bakuub R'ka some pred.

User avatar
Snypehunter007
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2549
Joined: 02 Dec 2015, 17:14
Location: Georgia
Byond ID: Snypehunter007
Contact:

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Snypehunter007 » 17 Sep 2017, 15:27

Just as a note, the reason we changed the Big Red "dirt" tiles is because they are actually a sand. So you actually can't put weeds on them because they have nothing to latch on to. Its also serves to function (gameplay wise) like the grass tiles on LV.
► Show Spoiler
Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Surrealistik
Registered user
Posts: 1437
Joined: 04 Jul 2015, 17:57

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Surrealistik » 17 Sep 2017, 15:58

Okay so apparently Hivelords just got acid so they may no longer be in a problematic place.

EDIT: Apparently that's a bug, nevermind they're shit again.

Again, give them the old passive standing recharge rate and make them exclusively able to x-fer plasma.
Sur 'Druglord' Lahzar; Combat Engineer, Perpetually Understaffed and Exasperated CMO/Doctor/Researcher

Sur 'Druglord' Lahzar says, "ASS BLAST U-S-A!!!"

Bronimin
Registered user
Posts: 242
Joined: 15 Jun 2017, 21:58

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Bronimin » 18 Sep 2017, 06:37

I love tail attacks, but it is too finicky to use them with the new HUD buttons because you can't be charging your tail attack and also be ready to fight at the same time (unless you are a drone, that is-- only one skill active at once out of tail, acid or pounce). Further, once you do stab someone you have to move your mouse all the way to the top left corner of the screen to activate your combat skill afterwards and it's very slow.

Hivelords making resin structures next to them is cool.

lcass123
Registered user
Posts: 211
Joined: 25 Apr 2015, 19:41

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by lcass123 » 18 Sep 2017, 09:48

the ui seems bugged, when I click the buttons for tail attack it activates the tail attack and sets it as the hotkey action which I don't want and makes using the tail not worth it as you just die before pouncing away

User avatar
Crab_Spider
Registered user
Posts: 2010
Joined: 20 Aug 2016, 15:52
Byond ID: Krab_Spider

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Crab_Spider » 18 Sep 2017, 10:29

I hate the Ui for abilities. Now I can't string together important skills.
You will never be as bad as the baldie who picked up a tactical shotgun while a hunter was pouncing on top of a CMO for 4 seconds, with his only response being to pace around before being decap'd by said hunter. You are not Brett Kimple, and you never will be. You are not the reason why I regular MP.

I am John "Buckshot" Rhodes, the Tactical Snowflake Hunter

User avatar
Heckenshutze
Registered user
Posts: 788
Joined: 17 Apr 2016, 03:52
Location: Caracas
Byond ID: Heckenshutze

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Heckenshutze » 18 Sep 2017, 21:25

Ravager needed a small buff indeed, young ravagers had the health of a runner, usually when either side gets a buff or a tweak the other party gets something new aswell so I'm eager to see what's next.
Charlie squaddie, PFC Ruben Dario.
D'to Hult'ah.
..and Shepherd, the Synth.

User avatar
Igloo
Registered user
Posts: 4
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 15:21
Location: Waiting to Evolve
Byond ID: IglooTA
Steam: Igloo

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Igloo » 18 Sep 2017, 21:46

latest update in a shellnut

Image
ImageSHAMELESS XENO MAINImageImageImage

User avatar
Nyeshivuu
Registered user
Posts: 221
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 22:32
Location: LOOC salting at a xeno

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Nyeshivuu » 18 Sep 2017, 23:17

Igloo wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 21:46
latest update in a shellnut

Image
Holy fucking shit did they remove macros? Guess i'm not playing for a bit.
Probably dead in some remote corner of the map
Mikhail 'Mik' Dmitri
Something serious about current times - Gorge Goblin
Image
Image
http://www.colonial-marines.com/viewtop ... 91&t=15058 My sexy dossier

User avatar
TheDonkified
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 292
Joined: 11 Dec 2016, 19:02
Byond ID: TheDonkified

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by TheDonkified » 18 Sep 2017, 23:57

Nyeshivuu wrote:
18 Sep 2017, 23:17
Holy fucking shit did they remove macros? Guess i'm not playing for a bit.
Don't worry buddy, there are still macros for marines.
Lother Jones Szer Nacly

Licon
Registered user
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Dec 2016, 15:51
Byond ID: Licon

Re: Updates discussion thread

Post by Licon » 19 Sep 2017, 02:18

The macro system. Why? Got playing yesterday and i suddenly had this akward feeling when i join other servers in ss13: why is here no macro, ah right this isnt CM. I mostly play xenon but now it will be marine only or back to menu. Will the same happen with marine?

Post Reply