Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Locked
User avatar
Creeper Joe
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 17:50
Byond ID: Creeper Joe

Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Creeper Joe » 15 Aug 2017, 20:26

Byond ID:
Creeper Joe

Age:
19

Gender:
Male

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
I'd call myself all three; though I don't have any experience in coding outside of DM. Personally best at Spriting but I wouldn't brag about it here because I never tried the different artstyle.

If Coder, what languages?
DM (Never really studied any code language and all the coding knowledge I have is largely self-thought in SS13).

Any previous experience developing with SS13?
Lots of it for Hippies Station.

Proof of any previous or current work:

PRs for Hippie Station which are most of my Coding and Mapping Work
https://github.com/HippieStationArchive ... CreeperJoe

IMGUR album of a bunch of sprites I made;
http://imgur.com/a/kuIfi

How well do you know Git?
Know it pretty well; though I haven't used anything besides GitHub Desktop and the web page. Never liked SourceTree.

Your primary job is server development, not policing the server. You may be given Moderator-level of access but you should *not* be invoking any administrative actions unless there are no moderators or Admins online. Do you understand?
Yes.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Mostly hooking up because my bad habit of finding exploits continues and I want to get more invested in learning DM (the code langauge) as a whole. In my opinion I'm fairly flexible and open to feedback. Personally prefer working on bug fixes, tweaks and a whole pile of quality of life stuff though I do also dabble in content-creation myself (when I do I usually prefer to work with others). Relatively unknown in this community aside from a few familiar faces because I prefer lurking, thought I'd figure jumping in deep is a sound idea.

User avatar
Snypehunter007
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2581
Joined: 02 Dec 2015, 17:14
Location: Georgia
Byond ID: Snypehunter007
Contact:

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Snypehunter007 » 15 Aug 2017, 20:45

Creeper Joe wrote:Byond ID:
Creeper Joe

How would you define yourself? (Coder, Mapper, Spriter):
I'd call myself all three; though I don't have any experience in coding outside of DM. Personally best at Spriting but I wouldn't brag about it here because I never tried the different artstyle.
Do you have any major mapping experience?
► Show Spoiler
Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Creeper Joe
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 17:50
Byond ID: Creeper Joe

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Creeper Joe » 15 Aug 2017, 20:48

Snypehunter007 wrote:Do you have any major mapping experience?
No major stuff, never tried it.

User avatar
SecretStamos (Joshuu)
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 1271
Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 12:32
Location: Stars & Stripes

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by SecretStamos (Joshuu) » 15 Aug 2017, 21:00

Your sprites look interesting, I certainly like the colors you used. A little different from what we style our sprites after, since we tend to favor heavier borders and higher amounts of contrast compared to vanilla, but definitely eye catching.

I do take a particular interest to the second set of robes and the armored horse icons though.


If you were to contribute sprites, which area would you prefer to be working on?
(environment, world objects, inventory objects, ect)

Could you see yourself adapting to our art style? Is there anything in particular you could see yourself working towards or contributing, be it a particular project or a goal?

User avatar
Snypehunter007
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2581
Joined: 02 Dec 2015, 17:14
Location: Georgia
Byond ID: Snypehunter007
Contact:

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Snypehunter007 » 15 Aug 2017, 21:15

Creeper Joe wrote:No major stuff, never tried it.
But you said you define yourself as a coder, spriter, AND mapper.

Why would you define yourself as something without having ever tried it?
► Show Spoiler
Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Creeper Joe
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 17:50
Byond ID: Creeper Joe

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Creeper Joe » 15 Aug 2017, 21:24

SecretStamos (Joshuu) wrote: If you were to contribute sprites, which area would you prefer to be working on?
(environment, world objects, inventory objects, ect)
I'm fairly flexible in this regard; I like trying out a lot of different things. Though if I'd have to pick what I prefer it definitely would be icons (includes inventory objects, UI icons, etc.), visual effects, environments and world objections.
SecretStamos (Joshuu) wrote:Could you see yourself adapting to our art style? Is there anything in particular you could see yourself working towards or contributing, be it a particular project or a goal?
I'll definetely be capable of adapting, I like the artstyle and it follows a fairly established pattern as opposed to TG's artstyle being all over the place depending on who made it, I'll likely enjoy working with it.

I don't see myself working on anything in particular, really I prefer to join in on projects that need to help; though what I likely will focus on are subjects that to me look like areas that need polish (quality of life stuff, some issues with the station's powernet, bug fixes etc.)
Snypehunter007 wrote: But you said you define yourself as a coder, spriter, AND mapper.

Why would you define yourself as something without having ever tried it?
I defined myself as a mapper because I understand a fairly large portion of it and have experience working with it (powernet, disposals system, area distribution, etc.), but I never tried anything major other than refurnishing an old shuttle back on Hippie station (and I don't see that as major). Just never got the opportunity to do so.

User avatar
slc97
Admin
Admin
Posts: 841
Joined: 21 Jul 2016, 11:48
Location: Florida

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by slc97 » 15 Aug 2017, 21:53

is your ckey and forum name the same? Who do you play in game? I don't recognize you off the bat.

User avatar
Creeper Joe
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 17:50
Byond ID: Creeper Joe

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Creeper Joe » 15 Aug 2017, 22:01

slc97 wrote:is your ckey and forum name the same? Who do you play in game? I don't recognize you off the bat.
They're the same, I mostly play Juan Alito the CE. Don't usually talk in OOC.

User avatar
slc97
Admin
Admin
Posts: 841
Joined: 21 Jul 2016, 11:48
Location: Florida

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by slc97 » 15 Aug 2017, 22:07

Okay, I've seen Juan around. Never had any troubles in game with you.

User avatar
SecretStamos (Joshuu)
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 1271
Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 12:32
Location: Stars & Stripes

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by SecretStamos (Joshuu) » 15 Aug 2017, 22:55

Creeper Joe wrote:I'm fairly flexible in this regard; I like trying out a lot of different things. Though if I'd have to pick what I prefer it definitely would be icons (includes inventory objects, UI icons, etc.), visual effects, environments and world objections.
Sounds good to me. I think we would be particularly interested in your thoughts on how to improve the UI visually, and also your thoughts on how to improve our visual effects.
Creeper Joe wrote: I'll definetely be capable of adapting, I like the artstyle and it follows a fairly established pattern as opposed to TG's artstyle being all over the place depending on who made it, I'll likely enjoy working with it.
Appreciate it :angel:
Creeper Joe wrote: I don't see myself working on anything in particular, really I prefer to join in on projects that need to help; though what I likely will focus on are subjects that to me look like areas that need polish (quality of life stuff, some issues with the station's powernet, bug fixes etc.)
If you don't mind me asking, what is your experience with coding like? What have you been able to do with DM, and do you see it as something you're proficient at?

User avatar
Creeper Joe
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 17:50
Byond ID: Creeper Joe

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Creeper Joe » 15 Aug 2017, 23:20

SecretStamos (Joshuu) wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is your experience with coding like? What have you been able to do with DM, and do you see it as something you're proficient at?
Well; it mostly started off with bug fixes, small features balance changes etc. that nobody bothered doing and throughout time, I've kind of learned how to handle bigger projects; using redunant code for new features, discovering how terribly snowflakey some code is like genetics (and how to avoid it) to eventually coding my own stuff entirely (this being the most recent feature that I actually made). Usually I do my own sprites as well. My time coding for Hippie Station has for the most part been spend independently; developing my own things and usually playtesting it by myself and with some friends. Most of it were memes, though there has been a bunch of serious content as well. They had a bunch of good coders helping me stay on track, avoiding spaghetti code and suggesting better alternatives which greatly helped in having me understand the code langauge.

Frankly though while I call myself proficient due to me knowing how to code and understand it to a certain degree; I frankly am far from the best. If you tell me to code a new genetical fault, a new weird whacky weapon, creature (as in-depth as a xeno) or antagonist type I can do that for example (given time); but doing something such as writing a new Atmos system or anything else grandscale is far, far beyond me.

User avatar
phil235
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 576
Joined: 29 Mar 2017, 20:29
Byond ID: phil235

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by phil235 » 16 Aug 2017, 13:25

Are you aware that we don't allow our coders to code for other ss13 servers simultaneously ? What made you leap from Hippie to CM ?

User avatar
Creeper Joe
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 17:50
Byond ID: Creeper Joe

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Creeper Joe » 16 Aug 2017, 13:46

phil235 wrote:Are you aware that we don't allow our coders to code for other ss13 servers simultaneously ?
Well, I wasn't aware before, but that isn't an issue anymore as I had resigned from my staff position at Hippie last Saturday. Wasn't intending on going back anyway nor do I intend to ditch this server for another.
phil235 wrote:What made you leap from Hippie to CM ?
I made the leap because frankly Hippie Station's community had shrunk significantly; the playerbase was so small that I didn't enjoy playing there anymore (20-30 players playing is incredibly boring imho). Didn't feel like coding anymore either due to how they basically had turned into a /tg/ clone. Tried CM because it was something new; something I desperately wanted after 4 years of playing on only /tg/ derivatives. Grew to like it so I stuck around.

User avatar
Swagile
Registered user
Posts: 1047
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 11:56
Byond ID: Swagile

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Swagile » 16 Aug 2017, 16:48

Back when I used to be part of Hippie and played / admined a lot there, Creeper released some interesting additions to the game, such as an entire Wizard set that he made himself (from my understanding), and did a few fixes / features on the side.

While I would say thats a plus, he sometimes gets very overprotective of things he creates (understandable) in the fact that he lashed out a few times. I won't specify what was said nor times due to the fact that it was in Hippie admin chat at the time, hence its something I am not at liberty to say, but it was quite the explosion that ended in their resignation.

I like Creeper as a person, and as a Developer due to the features he added, but id be iffy about it due to my experiences in what happens when you touch anything he makes. Thats my experience with Creeper Joe.
Image

User avatar
Feweh
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4730
Joined: 24 Feb 2015, 19:34
Byond ID: Feweh

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Feweh » 17 Aug 2017, 00:58

With what Swagile said, we're a team on CM as opposed to everyonr for themselves. Often times DEVS help eachother out and later change or edit things of previous devs.

User avatar
Creeper Joe
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 17:50
Byond ID: Creeper Joe

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Creeper Joe » 17 Aug 2017, 01:22

Swagile wrote:I won't specify what was said nor times due to the fact that it was in Hippie admin chat at the time, hence its something I am not at liberty to say, but it was quite the explosion that ended in their resignation.
Don't have any recollection of this ever happening nor did any of it fuel either of my resignation. Could've been up to a year ago so my head's a bit foggy on that regard.
The overly protective nature has kind of much faded over time so I don't think it will be an issue, last time I got so protective was back in June 2016 when I tried adding Plasmamen to Hippie Station.
Feweh wrote:With what Swagile said, we're a team on CM as opposed to everyonr for themselves. Often times DEVS help eachother out and later change or edit things of previous devs.
Fine by me; working in a team is more fun anyway and gets more shit done.

User avatar
SecretStamos (Joshuu)
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 1271
Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 12:32
Location: Stars & Stripes

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by SecretStamos (Joshuu) » 17 Aug 2017, 10:20

We sometimes touch and modify each other's work in development. Are you okay with having your work modified by others? I understand that some people aren't, so I just thought I'd ask.

User avatar
Creeper Joe
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 17:50
Byond ID: Creeper Joe

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Creeper Joe » 17 Aug 2017, 11:03

SecretStamos (Joshuu) wrote:We sometimes touch and modify each other's work in development. Are you okay with having your work modified by others? I understand that some people aren't, so I just thought I'd ask.
I'm totally fine with it; I'm just one man so I'm sure that I'll fuck up from time to time without me knowing.

User avatar
Swagile
Registered user
Posts: 1047
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 11:56
Byond ID: Swagile

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Swagile » 17 Aug 2017, 16:46

This was a year or so ago, so Creeper might have changed; im just stating what happened in the past since thats my only reference of Creeper Joe as a Developer, so take it with whatever grain ya want.
Image

User avatar
SecretStamos (Joshuu)
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 1271
Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 12:32
Location: Stars & Stripes

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by SecretStamos (Joshuu) » 18 Aug 2017, 07:01

Swagile wrote:This was a year or so ago, so Creeper might have changed; im just stating what happened in the past since thats my only reference of Creeper Joe as a Developer, so take it with whatever grain ya want.
What exactly are you referring to?

User avatar
Swagile
Registered user
Posts: 1047
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 11:56
Byond ID: Swagile

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Swagile » 18 Aug 2017, 16:44

SecretStamos (Joshuu) wrote:What exactly are you referring to?
Read above about my experience of Creeper Joe, thats what I was referring to.
Image

User avatar
SecretStamos (Joshuu)
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 1271
Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 12:32
Location: Stars & Stripes

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by SecretStamos (Joshuu) » 19 Aug 2017, 10:43

I see.

Creeper, would you be willing to make a few icons as a test? I can PM you if you're ready.

User avatar
Creeper Joe
Registered user
Posts: 12
Joined: 11 Jul 2017, 17:50
Byond ID: Creeper Joe

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by Creeper Joe » 19 Aug 2017, 12:13

SecretStamos (Joshuu) wrote:I see.

Creeper, would you be willing to make a few icons as a test? I can PM you if you're ready.
Sure thing.

User avatar
SecretStamos (Joshuu)
Dev Team
Dev Team
Posts: 1271
Joined: 15 Oct 2014, 12:32
Location: Stars & Stripes

Re: Creeper Joe - Developer Application

Post by SecretStamos (Joshuu) » 22 Aug 2017, 07:16

Denied.

Thank you for your time. Wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:

Locked