A Note About Roleplay
Colonial Marines is a medium roleplay server with higher/more roleplay being greatly encouraged. "Medium" is loosely defined as being strict but not too strict. In other words, you should consider your character to be a separate entity from you as a player. Your character's actions and feelings in-game should be based solely on your character's experiences and not your own as the player. However, specifics such as Flavor Text, while also very encouraged, are not required. It is also encouraged (but not required as it is on other servers) to use roleplay dialogue before making split decisions such as using lethal force against another character. Finally, you are expected to follow the Roleplay Guidelines, as well as all the rules specific to your chosen job.
Rule 0. Admins (not Mods or Mentors) retain the authority to ignore the following rules at their discretion when they feel it's in the best interest of the current round/server/playerbase at large. However, they will be fully accountable for their actions should they choose to exercise this privilege. If an admin says something is a rule, and you disagree, FOLLOW WHAT THEY SAY AND MAKE A COMPLAINT ON THE FORUM. Do NOT excessivly argue with them, you WILL receive a ban or extension on your ban.
Rule 0.1 RULES AS INTENDED. Just because you bend the wording of a rule into a pretzel and don't break the specific RAW (Rule As Written) does not mean you didn't break the RAI (Rule As Intended). Rules can be subject to interpretation and if a staff member that is a Mod or above believes you broke a rule as it is INTENDED to function, you can expect the same consequences.
Rule 0.2 Follow the Roleplay Guidelines. Violations may result in administrative action.
Rule 0.3 VPN and Proxies are STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. If discovered, they will be blocked (along with the associated IP range)
- Don't be a dick. - "Dickish" and "harassment" type of behavior is not allowed. This includes all OOC forms of racism, homophobic slurs, all other demeaning language with the intent to harass another player. This is combined with your attitude towards staff. If you have a problem with a staff member's decision, show them respect and do what they say, then submit a staff complaint. Arguing with a staff member will more than likely get your punishment increased, and any report you make AFTER arguing might be thrown out because your punishment will be seen as deserved. On the other hand, you have some wiggle-room In Character (IC) since tempers can rise between marines for plenty of reasons. But, if you start shouting "NIGGER KIKE FAGGOT" IC, you can expect bad things to happen to you.
- We are an ENGLISH ONLY server. Speaking other languages in OOC, LOOC, or DSAY is strictly FORBIDDEN. Our staff also speak only English, so you are required to speak it over staff PMs and Ahelps. IC there is a little bit of leeway if you throw in an occasional word or well-known phrase from another language, but entire conversations in other languages is a no-go. We follow the trope of "everyone in the future speaks English".
- No advertising/recruiting - Do not post byond:// links to other servers with the intention of luring players to a different server. People are more than welcome to play elsewhere, you're just being rude. Obviously, links to a different server to show a forum topic or any other harmless thing is perfectly fine. If you attempt to poach/recruit staff members, we reserve the right to laugh nervously while we tighten the leashes and silence your hearsay.
- No ERP or 18+ sexual content - ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY - ERP, or Erotic Roleplay, is defined as roleplay that has a strong erotic element intended to elicit a sexual response from the receiver(s). It may involve two or more people or be done in front of spectators. This includes reading stories about ERP but not participating directly (WGW), or posting links to adult websites and images. Both consensual and nonconsensual ERP will be met with a PERMABAN. This is not to be confused with distasteful but acceptable marine bravado such as "/me scratches his crotch" or "/me pinches [player]'s nipple." However, these actions can be handled IC as Neglect of Duty or Sexual Assault per Marine Law. Bottom line: If you're not sure if it's ERP or not, or you don't want to be permabanned, just don't do it.
- No ban evading - Defined as attempting to log into the server with a different account after one account was banned. This results in your current punishment being upgraded to a PERMABAN. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- No multikeying - Defined as logging into two separate accounts at the same time, usually to play with one account and observe with the other in order to get information your character wouldn't normally have. If you are caught multikeying, you will be PERMABANNED.
- No griefing
Griefing - Defined as the perceived intent of one player wanting to cause grief or annoyance to other players or to the server without any roleplay reason. The emphasis is on "intent". If an Admin or Mod believes that the players intent is to grief then action will be taken. You can appeal these actions on the Ban Appeals forum. Any damage to the station or players caused by griefing can be repaired at an Admin's discretion.
Examples of Griefing:
- A marine grabs a gun and immediately starts shooting other marines for no discernible reason.
- Fighting after the round ends and generating combat logs. The exception is Marines and aliens fighting, or fighting against spawned Antags (Russian attack teams, W-Y Assassins, etc). End of Round Grief (EORG) is an IMMEDIATE 3 hour ban with no warnings.
- Two marines get into a fight over something and start throwing punches at each other.
- Two consenting marines want to roleplay a situation that ends with them attacking or killing each other. Adminhelps ahead of time would be best, as you'll likely get notified by an Admin at some point when the combat logs pop up.
- A distraught Survivor fearfully shoots at an approaching marine and runs away.
- No Powergaming - Powergaming is a style of interacting with games or game-like systems, particularly video games, boardgames, and role-playing games, with the aim of maximising progress towards a specific goal to the exclusion of other considerations such as storytelling, atmosphere and camaraderie. Powergaming includes, but is not limited to, performing actions outside your assigned job. Your skills or background DO NOT matter prior to the round - a standard marine with "a brother in Engineering" does not know how to hack an airlock.
- A standard marine knowing surgery.
- A doctor knowing how to hack an airlock.
- The Acting Commander/Executive Officer setting up the ship's engines if there are no Maintenance Techs and no Chief Engineer to do it. The CO/XO would realistically have at least some knowledge of the engine that runs their ship. Also, it is crucial to the success of the marine team, so gameplay trumps rule breakage here.
- No Metagaming or Metacommunication- Acting upon knowledge your character does not have or communicating information about the current round, including but not limited to private discussions, chat rooms, and/or voice chats during the game. If you want to talk to other CM players about CM or just in general, we have an official Discord, but keep the discussion about past rounds and never about the current one.
- Welding vents before seeing the Xenos use them or before they've boarded the ship.
- Building defenses on the ship before a hostile force is en route or before the non-human alarm.
- Equipping face protection before knowing about facehuggers.
- "Ramboing" - Chasing down Xenos immediately after first contact.
- Suicide without an EXTREMELY good reason. "I'm logging out", or "Just Because" are subject to an immediate ban. Just leave.
- Using Specialist equipment (sniper rifle, SADAR, etc - any equipment that is uniquely available in the Specialist vendors) if you are not a Specialist (SLs may no longer use Specialist weapons).
- Using Smartgunner equipment when you are not the Smartgunner (the Commander may use his Command Smartgun). Non-smartgunners may NOT use smartguns (this includes SLs)
- Xenos slashing APCs or cameras.
- A marine grabbing tougher face protection after seeing a comrade get facehugged.
- No IC in OOC or vise-versa - Keep IC (In-Character) in IC and OOC (Out-Of-Character) in OOC. Do not use ((double parentheses)) or any other method to speak OOC in Say chat. Use the Local OOC (LOOC) verb instead. OOC/LOOC should never be used to inform a player of something they wouldn't know or find out IC.
- Suicide, rage-quitting, and logging off - You won't be punished for logging out after a round starts, but it would be a big help if you first enter a cryo tube and Ghost (IC tab > Ghost verb) before you leave if you're able. This will release your job slot for a new player to take it. If you instead suicide or immediately ghost without first getting into a cryo tube near round-start (meaning you simply didn't want to play the role and took the job slot from someone who did), you may receive a job-ban. Set up your job preferences carefully in Setup Character > Occupation Choices. Also note, your best chance at being a Xeno is to set all job preferences to "NEVER", and at the bottom, click the link until it says "Return to lobby if preference unavailable".
- No breaching or phoron/plasma releasing - Our atmos system sucks (we're working on it). Until we have it under control, intentionally breaching into space is against the rules. Intentionally releasing phoron/plasma into the atmosphere will likely net you a hefty ban or a permaban. Exception: Accidents (they happen), Predators breaching by using their gauntlet's self-destruct mechanism, or opening a breach for the purpose of fixing a problem (such as a phoron/plasma leak).
Note: These also apply to Survivors once they have been rescued.
- Lethal Force - Do not physically attack any other human without a legitimate, explainable, roleplay reason that could be applied in a similar, real-life scenario. Even if you are justified, you are still susceptible to Marine Law.
- Use a reasonable, lore-friendly character name - Your character must have a unique first and last name. One-word nicknames are allowed inside the name (e.g. Derek 'Double-D' Donahue, Jane 'Crusher' Sanchez) . Ranks, titles, honorifics, offensive, famous and/or pop-culture names are not allowed (e.g. Dr John Smith, Barack Obama, Lt John Doe, Adolf Hitler). Also, avoid lore-based names like Weyland, Yutani, Bishop, Ripley, etc.
- Do not mutiny, unless... - Mutiny is not allowed unless a Mod or Admin (not a Mentor) clears it via Adminhelp. Also, you must follow these rules:
- The situation MUST be role-played.
- The commander MUST be given a chance to stand-down peacefully
- You MUST have the support of at least 5 other Marines
- Uninvolved marines should be given the chance to remain uninvolved. They *might* shoot if they see you firing on the commander without a reason. Try to subdue them, WITHOUT lethal force or explain the situation.
- Minimize Losses (use either non-lethal force ONLY, or give all marines who oppose you a chance to stand-down)
- Do not start firing until you have been fired upon
- ID Rules -
- Do not take another player's ID card. Because of how IDs work on our server (everything from stopping a turret from killing you, to tracking your squad and armor) ID "theft" is considered an OOC problem and may be handled by staff instead of MPs. An exception would be in emergencies, such as a player yanking the ID from a dead comrade in order to escape imminent danger of a visible threat.
- Do NOT hand out all-access ID cards.
- Reassignments should make sense in that they are done within a department or similar departments.
- A Standard Marine shouldn't be promoted to Chief Medical Officer, but a Medic or Doctor can be.
- A Standard Marine doesn't have the IC knowledge of becoming a Specialist, but a Squad Leader does and can ask for a demotion to become one.
- Job-Specific Rules (Note: These rules override anything above and apply to anyone performing the tasks associated with the jobs as well).
ALL CREW AND MARINES
- Only Doctors and the CMO can perform surgeries.
- Unless you are part of the military police, you should not be enforcing Marine Law.
ALL NON-MARINE SULACO CREW (Doctors, Engineers, Cargo, MPs, Command, etc)
- You may leave the ship to report to the FOB (Forward Operating Base) so long as you have clearance from your department head or a superior officer unless explicitly stated otherwise below.
- You must adhere strictly to these server rules and to the Roleplay Guidelines, unless in the event you are given special orders from Central Command.
- Use the Chain of Command. You are expected to delegate and not interfere. You may never perform surgery, and only when absolutely necessary due to missing/unavailable subordinates can you fill in for the RO, detain marines, set up the engine, and perform other jobs that are needed by the crew.
- Either the Commander or Executive Officer must be on the ship AT ALL TIMES. If one goes to the surface, the other must remain on the ship.
- Your account name is whitelisted, not your player name. You are able to create a new name and thus a new persona, but this is not recommended as it hinders building a good reputation.
- The XO must follow Execution Procedure.
- See "ID Rules" above for info on job reassignments.
- Do not allow Staff Officers to leave the Sulaco unless absolutely necessary for a specific, explainable reason. Their presence on the Bridge using the Overwatch consoles is far more advantageous to the entire team.
- You must disregard an order if it is against these rules. Furthermore, you must treat Marine Law as an extension of these rules - breaking Marine Law as an MP may result in a jobban.
- On the Commander's (or Acting commander's) orders, you may leave the Sulaco to be a "dropship guard" or to apprehend a marine and return with them. Lethal weapons are authorized during these tasks.
- The powerloader mech is for loading and unloading crates on the ship and not for combat unless in imminent danger of a visible threat.
- You may leave the ship for any reason, regardless of approval.
- You are NOT part of command staff, you work for Weyland and your priority is serving them. You may *attempt* to bribe marines to work for you, however you do not outrank them (you are a civilian) and thus they don't have to listen to you.
- You are authorized a pistol at all times. Depending on the situation, Weyland may issue you other weapons.
- You are not an Antagonist unless given special objectives from Staff. If you are doing a good job with RP and reporting to Weyland with your Fax, you *MIGHT* be given special goals. These goals *MIGHT* allow you to break some of the server rules, depending on the situation. If you are unsure, AHELP FIRST.
- Stay near your chosen dropship as much as possible - you may be needed at any moment. Quick visits to the FOB are allowed if you're only there to take something to it or bring something back to your ship.
- You have command over Enlisted ranks on your dropship. Abuse of this privilege can be handled by Marine Law.
- Act like a Xenomorph - You are not a pet or best friends with the marines. Talk like one. It is fine to use words like "medbay" and "shuttle". You can also replace "shuttle" with "metal bird" if you wish. Hivemind is the English translation of a Xeno's thoughts. However, keep it formal and realistic. An occasional meme is fine, but spouting memes constantly or disrupting others with them is not allowed and you will be warned.
- You have no free will - Your will is that of the Queen. OBEY HER ORDERS. If the queen Ahelps about you disobeying her, you may be punished. However, the Queen may not abuse this power and is equally responsible for the orders she gives.
- Do not harm nested hosts that are infected unless you are the Queen, within reason - Killing a nested+infected host at ANY TIME is a bannable offense, and don't un-nest just to kill. It's counter-productive to your cause of growing the hive. If a marine escapes the nest and uses a weapon to resist, THEN you may kill them, but you should try to tackle and renest them. Remember: The more hosts you get and keep alive, the bigger your team. EXCEPTION: The queen MAY kill any marine she wants at any time, provided she has an RP justification (if asked by the admins). This power does NOT extend to aliens following the Queen's orders.
- Obey the orders of superior castes - Tier takes priority over evolution age (Elite, Ancient, etc) with the Queen above everything:
- Tier 0: (lowest): Larva
- Tier 1: Runner, Drones, Sentinels
- Tier 2: Hunter, Carrier, Spitter
- Tier 3: Ravager, Praetorian, Hivelord, Crusher, Boiler
- Tier 4 (highest): Queen
- No Hugger Stacking - Do not stack 3 or more facehuggers on the same tile, including an unhatched egg.
Predator Specific Rules
Predators are held to a VERY HIGH STANDARD. It is VERY easy to get removed from the whitelist, so you will need to pay CLOSE attention to the honor code AND the rules below.
- Follow the Predator Code of Honor.
- You are a Predator - Act like one. Would a Predator put on a clown suit and throw bananas? No. Would they take marine gear in order to engage marines in more even hand-to-hand combat? Possibly. It's best to ASK before you do something that may be "silly" or "strange" for a Predator to do.
- You are NOT a murder-spree antagonist - You have MUCH more leeway than a standard marine or alien, but you are held accountable for every life you take. Try to limit yourself to killing prey only, and using your other things tools to chase people away who are interfering.
- Your position on the Whitelist is not stable - If you receive a player complaint, you may be removed from the Whitelist during the investigation, depending on the severity and validity of the complaint. If you are removed from the whitelist due to disciplinary reasons, you will be STRUCK OFF THE ROSTER. Minimum time to re-apply will be 3 months. If you are removed a second time, you will NEVER be allowed to re-apply.
- Hunt the more honorable prey - Try to focus on hunting whichever side appears to be winning. It's much more honorable to fight against whichever side has the advantage, than it is to sneak aboard the Marine ship during a retreat and just put a cap into the commander.