Dwarf Fortress

News, discussions, and opinions about all other games.
User avatar
Swagile
Registered user
Posts: 1055
Joined: 19 Jan 2017, 11:56
Byond: Swagile

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by Swagile » 09 Dec 2017, 12:53

it still amazes me how intricate and complex this game is, and its FREE

you don't see AAA titles put in any effort that is even 10% of this game anymore
Image

User avatar
davidofmk771
Registered user
Posts: 163
Joined: 25 Jun 2017, 04:25
Location: flerda
Byond: Davidofmk771

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by davidofmk771 » 09 Dec 2017, 13:07

Funny thing is, going by their reported donation numbers, Tarn and Zach share a revenue of around $80,000 a year (I think they support their mom too). It's no wonder this Greenlight/Kickstarter/Patreon stuff didn't come around years earlier. For all the faults, those systems have pretty much made it once again possible for an indie developer who really cares about game theory, art, and music to break into making a real career out of it without having to sell their soul.

User avatar
NethIafins
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 326
Joined: 20 Nov 2016, 20:32
Location: Ukraine
Byond: NethIafins
Steam: nethiafin
Contact:

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by NethIafins » 19 Dec 2017, 10:28

Masterwork human aboveground wooden fort

WITH RIFLES (fukk yeah)
Image
Image
Brother!
Do you remember our home and mother?
I'll die, don't bother.
It's just like walking on water.
- Cold Rain, Swirekster 2017, Twisted Insurrection OST

User avatar
Marcus Jackson
Registered user
Posts: 148
Joined: 08 Dec 2016, 21:44
Byond: Trungledorf

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by Marcus Jackson » 20 Dec 2017, 19:20

Just gonna put this here from the previous DF thread:

I remember one time I played DF, and I had this small child dwarf who kept showing up in the training courtyard to watch, I thought nothing of it at first, but one day there was a "live target" exercise. A growling and snarling Minatour had been captured a few days earlier in a pit trap, and was now being used to train the stronger, more legendary Dwarves in a dangerous pit-arena.

The Man-bull had been released from his cage, and just as I was about to select a strong and capable shield and spear dwarf... the child jumped into the arena. I expected a one sided slaughter, and while that's exactly what happened, it was not to who I suspected. The child entered the pit with a flying kick to the beasts snout, sending both of them into a blind rage for some reason, and as soon as the child landed and regained his footing he set off on his mission of destroying the beast with a mix of martial arts moves I know for a fact no one could have taught him.

The monster charged in his rage, but the boy tripped him with an outstretched leg, leaving it to slam it's head into the stone walls. The boy gave no respite, and immediately set into a flurry of kicks and punches to the beast's side and back even managing to shatter the bones in it's side. The monster tried to swing at the boy, but in a feat of godlike strength, he had grabbed the beast's arm and snapped the hand into an unrecognizable mess, the beast attempted a kick, but the boy responded with a headbutt to the groin which left the beat on it's knees. The boy stood over his opponent and proceeded to gouge out it's left eye and tongue with his bare hands, before taking hold of the horns, and decapitating the monster after almost a minute of pulling and tearing at the monster's thick neck.

The boy had immediately been put into the military forces of Fort "No Peace" InHel (the No Peace part was not added by me btw), and proceeded to kill several beasts such as a pack of 4 giants (all at once with his only help being a dog and a couple guards), a wounded ice dragon, a healthy fire dragon, a necromancer with an army of zombies, and a Vampire lord. By the time he died in the great end of the world (my game crashed because my PC sucks ass) he was already an old man, who had sired many children with his virile seed... never once was a wall built around any of the surface or subterranean parts of the fort, because by the time the boy had reached adulthood he sired almost 5 equally dangerous and potentially psychotic children, and with those titans made flesh the Dwarves knew... they needed no walls to ever protect them so long as "DINGUS FRILLYDINK" (his auto generated name, swear to god) was there.

After that kid was born I never once had another invasion that ever got remotely close to the fort or it's people. RIPmy brotha from anotha mutha.
Image

User avatar
Ms.Degrasse
Registered user
Posts: 174
Joined: 29 Mar 2016, 06:40

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by Ms.Degrasse » 21 Dec 2017, 12:44

Great game.

Once I got a fortress full of vampire and lycanthrope dwarfs.

That was awesome, but really hard to manage.
Had to keep them in separated places.
To lock down the lycans when close to transforming.
And build entire complexes just for the vamps.

Overpopulation was kept in check by letting the incoming dwarfs to live with one of the groups.

After digging too deep, FUN reached the fortress and they all perished in the skirmish.

User avatar
Snypehunter007
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2627
Joined: 02 Dec 2015, 17:14
Location: Georgia
Byond: Snypehunter007
Contact:

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by Snypehunter007 » 21 Dec 2017, 15:18

Ms.Degrasse wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 12:44
Great game.

Once I got a fortress full of vampire and lycanthrope dwarfs.

That was awesome, but really hard to manage.
Had to keep them in separated places.
To lock down the lycans when close to transforming.
And build entire complexes just for the vamps.

Overpopulation was kept in check by letting the incoming dwarfs to live with one of the groups.

After digging too deep, FUN reached the fortress and they all perished in the skirmish.
See ^

I wish I could do stuff like this but FPS death gets to me before I can do anything cool.
► Show Spoiler
Staff History:
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
NethIafins
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 326
Joined: 20 Nov 2016, 20:32
Location: Ukraine
Byond: NethIafins
Steam: nethiafin
Contact:

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by NethIafins » 22 Dec 2017, 04:53

Snypehunter007 wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 15:18
-snip-
Use masterwork and apply item type decluttering.
Play smaller locations.
Play as humans (eh, it's fun and you don't have to dig)
Image
Image
Brother!
Do you remember our home and mother?
I'll die, don't bother.
It's just like walking on water.
- Cold Rain, Swirekster 2017, Twisted Insurrection OST

User avatar
Ms.Degrasse
Registered user
Posts: 174
Joined: 29 Mar 2016, 06:40

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by Ms.Degrasse » 23 Dec 2017, 19:45

Snypehunter007 wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 15:18
See ^

I wish I could do stuff like this but FPS death gets to me before I can do anything cool.
I have to admit.
Keeping dwarfs alive until you can find a vampire is the hard part in it, Snype. :lol:

Those are hard to spot and not that common.

Turning dwarfs into lycanthropes is far easier.

The rest is just some good level designing.

Large, unconnected bases. And cells with cheap room furniture, booze and food, closed by mechanisms where you keep your lycans. (One for each of them.)

Those sometimes attack each other when turning. And they destroy a lot of stuff.

Managing vampires is far easier in comparison.

Any incoming dwarfs in your fortress can be left with either group.
Those with the vampires eventually will die by the attacks.
And those with the lycans may or may not be turned into one too.

Interesting bonus?

Transformed lycan kills don't count as fortress endorsed hostility against visitors.

Annoying nobility? Elves? Whatever? Let the lycan dwarfs show them some great hospitality. ^_^

User avatar
Dumblike
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 235
Joined: 06 Jan 2018, 21:29
Location: LV-624
Byond: Dumblike

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by Dumblike » 07 Jan 2018, 12:50

make a badass fortress in peace > make an army > everything is destroyed by one mad goblin > restart
Mia Brut
Layne Shriver


https://i.imgur.com/IXcc8aL.png
dchat best chat

DrakengardC
Registered user
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Jan 2018, 06:52
Byond: 597489

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by DrakengardC » 24 Jan 2018, 09:13

>Be me
>Start to build a fort above ground
>Buy a Black Panther from elf traders
>Forget to set the drink production
>Panther is keeper of the order mauling anyone that is hostile
>Tantrum begin when the drinks are out
>Panther intervene killing half of the useful dorfs and maiming the other half
>Abandon Fort

User avatar
biscuitsakimbo
Registered user
Posts: 63
Joined: 28 Nov 2017, 08:29
Byond: BiscuitsAkimbo

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by biscuitsakimbo » 02 Feb 2018, 18:26

Marcus Jackson wrote:
20 Dec 2017, 19:20
Just gonna put this here from the previous DF thread:

I remember one time I played DF, and I had this small child dwarf who kept showing up in the training courtyard to watch, I thought nothing of it at first, but one day there was a "live target" exercise. A growling and snarling Minatour had been captured a few days earlier in a pit trap, and was now being used to train the stronger, more legendary Dwarves in a dangerous pit-arena.

The Man-bull had been released from his cage, and just as I was about to select a strong and capable shield and spear dwarf... the child jumped into the arena. I expected a one sided slaughter, and while that's exactly what happened, it was not to who I suspected. The child entered the pit with a flying kick to the beasts snout, sending both of them into a blind rage for some reason, and as soon as the child landed and regained his footing he set off on his mission of destroying the beast with a mix of martial arts moves I know for a fact no one could have taught him.

The monster charged in his rage, but the boy tripped him with an outstretched leg, leaving it to slam it's head into the stone walls. The boy gave no respite, and immediately set into a flurry of kicks and punches to the beast's side and back even managing to shatter the bones in it's side. The monster tried to swing at the boy, but in a feat of godlike strength, he had grabbed the beast's arm and snapped the hand into an unrecognizable mess, the beast attempted a kick, but the boy responded with a headbutt to the groin which left the beat on it's knees. The boy stood over his opponent and proceeded to gouge out it's left eye and tongue with his bare hands, before taking hold of the horns, and decapitating the monster after almost a minute of pulling and tearing at the monster's thick neck.

The boy had immediately been put into the military forces of Fort "No Peace" InHel (the No Peace part was not added by me btw), and proceeded to kill several beasts such as a pack of 4 giants (all at once with his only help being a dog and a couple guards), a wounded ice dragon, a healthy fire dragon, a necromancer with an army of zombies, and a Vampire lord. By the time he died in the great end of the world (my game crashed because my PC sucks ass) he was already an old man, who had sired many children with his virile seed... never once was a wall built around any of the surface or subterranean parts of the fort, because by the time the boy had reached adulthood he sired almost 5 equally dangerous and potentially psychotic children, and with those titans made flesh the Dwarves knew... they needed no walls to ever protect them so long as "DINGUS FRILLYDINK" (his auto generated name, swear to god) was there.

After that kid was born I never once had another invasion that ever got remotely close to the fort or it's people. RIPmy brotha from anotha mutha.
This is why DF is the best game ever made.
Image

User avatar
Miranda
Registered user
Posts: 90
Joined: 09 Sep 2015, 04:52

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by Miranda » 20 Feb 2018, 18:19

Dumblike wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 12:50
make a badass fortress in peace > make an army > everything is destroyed by one mad goblin > restart
How? Even naked dwarfs can kill a goblin.

User avatar
Dumblike
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 235
Joined: 06 Jan 2018, 21:29
Location: LV-624
Byond: Dumblike

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by Dumblike » 20 Feb 2018, 18:58

Miranda wrote:
20 Feb 2018, 18:19
How? Even naked dwarfs can kill a goblin.
but have you considered it was
Dumblike wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 12:50
one mad goblin
Mia Brut
Layne Shriver


https://i.imgur.com/IXcc8aL.png
dchat best chat

User avatar
CaptainYankee
Registered user
Posts: 96
Joined: 26 Nov 2017, 01:58
Byond: CaptainYankee

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Post by CaptainYankee » 22 Feb 2018, 13:39

Back when vampires were numerous and would cut bloody swaths through your forts, I made a simple waterfall in my dining room to preserve morale. For some reason, children, babies, and young animals would jump into the waterfall and get trapped on the one dry spot in the pool below. Every season I'd have to let the pool drain so they could be rescued and not die of starvation. Easily preventable, but I found it hilarious that all of the children in the fort were stuffed in this dank hole kept alive only by the pump sucking the water away before it could drown them.
Reinhard Shriver

Post Reply