What is that shit ?
You can say that Squad Cohesion is a mix of gameplay, psychological and roleplay shits that makes a squad being together, grouped, highly responsive.
Squad Cohesion is usually high at the beginning of the round, especially if the SL is decent.
But, according to the following of the round, Squad Cohesion can fall fairly quickly.
Here is a non exhaustive list of things that can keep your squad cohesion high, or down :
Things to keep Squad Cohesion UP :
- The banter, talking shit with your men keeps them interested about you.
- The comms, do not let a single question asked for you unanswered. Even if you don't have the answer right now, at least, copy that comm.
- The respect that your marines have towards you (influenced by your skills/notoriety/passed rounds).
- Just your notoriety/reputation as a player/SL.
- All the above and other effects that can induce a high morale.
Things that make Squad Cohesion DOWN :
- Being for too long on a boring/automatic duty (FOB duty can kill squad cohesion in less then 15 minutes).
- Having too many casualties.
- Having catastrophic casualties (leadership : SL/CO, specific roles : Spec, SG, Medics and Engies).
- Unorganized SL.
- Unorganized Command.
- Being on the frontline for too long.
- All the above and other effects that can induce a low morale.
Yes, I said it. Being on the frontline for too long. So, you'll tell me : I CAN'T SIT MAH ASS AT THE FOB. OR CAN'T STAY AT THE FRONTLINE BRO !
You have to keep moving. You have to be able to withdraw your men, to launch other offensives. But yeah, still there, your squad cohesion will be fucked. And all your marines will be scattered on the entire map.
Here are some tips during fights that can help :
- When you launch an offensive where other squads are : TELL YOUR MEN TO STAY ON A DESIGNATED FLANK. When crossing the river, I ask for my men to stay on the LEFT or on the RIGHT. My usual thing is to say : RIGHT FLANK ! RIGHT FLANK ! STAY ON THE RIGHT FLANK ! IF YOU ARE NOT SURROUNDED BY DELTAS : YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG !
Marines, sadly, are like sheeps. They follow the mass. But if you make in sort that the mass is still your squad, you reduce the amount of marines that'll fuck off at the other side of the frontline. Which means you can keep them around the "L" above your head, and keep doing pushes, last stand and flanks.
- Keep on talking to your marines. When you fall back for reloading, the marines will take your place (usually). That means you have 30 seconds to tell your wounded men to evac (Just a "Evac and take care marine" or a "Good shit on that kill SG !" and even a "Thanks for covering my ass X"). Just that and you'll keep your marines knowing that there is a bond between you and them. A bond that the fight cannot destroy. (In fact, the fact can destroy that bond, but you musn't let it known to your boys).
- NEVER DEFEATISM. The only thing you can say is FALL BACK. But if you start panicking and stay : WE ARE DOOMED ! OH SHIT ! COMMAND IS GAY. Then, you'll trully fuck the morale of your squad. Think about that sentence : "I LOVE THE CORPS ! ANOTHER WONDERFUL DAY IN THE CORPS".
- REGROUP AND RALLY : After a push, after a retreat, give 60 to 240 sec to your squad to either rally on you, either rally on a designated location. Repeat at least 3 times, every 30 to 60 sec your order.
- USE REGROUP AND RALLY TIME TO JOKE/COMMUNICATE : You have between 60 to 240 sec to joke, tell your marines they are gay, use your gaydar to detect Charlie's gayness, say that Alicia Parker has a nice a-armor and that Laura Fox has huge bo-beautiful eyes. This time is your SL's time, your oxygen. Use it to breath, to smile, and to regain cohesion and will across your manpower.
- DETECT LACK OF COHESION : If your screen is not filled with marines wearing your squad colors, it means you are on a fight for a too long time, your squad lost you, or marines are doing jackshit without you. Order a rally on your location, try to move on the main frontline area, get men, and then get away from the frontline (to avoid marines getting back there like flies on honey).
When marines are on an assault or on a lack of action for a too long period, they will drop their brains next to their keyboard and won't listen anymore. Use caps lock like a 11 years-old on Call of Duty and get their attention. Small sentences, huge words, impact orders : RALLY ! GET BACK HERE ! HEY DIPSHITS : RALLY ! (Things like that).
CONCLUSION : WHY THE FUCK DO I MAKE THAT POST ?
To help you consider the fact that.. If your squad cohesion is catastrophicly low, don't bother issue orders to your men. That won't matter.
The only thing that you can make is to try to grab a handful of marines, and keep them around you, to get that squad cohesion up.
And if you feel that your squad cohesion is at its max, think about your most bold tactics. Flanking, Pushing, Holding. Because you know that your men are behind you. You know that they are ALL here. All their rifles, their ability, their focus is HERE to make your ORDERS accomplished.
And, by the way : enjoy yourself and the men around you. Do not forget that good comms make everyone's day.